The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a little Mothers Black Again creme on the engine cover louvers. It is soaking in and starting to look pretty nice. Any suggestions for other products that might work even better?

On an unrelated note, just changed the transmission fluid, even though the car has only 16000 miles. I drained the old, which looked pretty nasty, and filled the transmission with Redline MT90. What a great improvement! Shifting is smoother and the transmission is much quieter in the lower gears.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts

My dad and I just detailed our cars with the stuff after a lot of research on preserving/protecting our black plastic/rubber from the sun. We both agreed that it was WELL worth the $12. Our leather/plastic/rubber all look straight from the factor.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Anyone have any experience with any of this stuff on carbon fiber? Its not the fading that I'm worried about, but I have a hard time getting off water spots that have dried on.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I've tried them all. None of them hold a candle to Stoners trim shine.

Zaino clear seal seems to also work decent, but you really can't beat the Stoner's.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yep, Stoner's Trim Shine all the way for the black trim as well as the plastics in the engine compartment. :up:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stoners it is. I will have to check that out.

For the transmission, it was pretty easy. Drove around a little to warm up the fluid. Backed the car up on ramps. Removed the engine access panel, which now has lots of quick release bolts! (It's even easier to remove than ever)

Put a mat and pan under the car and removed the lower drain plug as shown in the manual. Let a bunch of tranny fluid drain out... then removed the upper fill plug. This made alot more fluid drain out much faster. Once the transmission was mostly empty... about 10 minutes, replaced the drain plug. To fill, I used Redline MT90, which is formulated for Toyota transmissions. It took almost 2.5 quarts. I have a Snapon hand pump, that sucks fluid out of the bottle and pushes it into the fill hole. Took a while to pump the fluid in. Replaced the fill bolt and went for a ride. Shifting, as I mentioned is nice, and a bit quieter than before!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
turtle wax ice. does the whole car. I get compliments on my plastic pieces everywhere i go.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
also, check the uberpost for the DIY tranny fluid change.

·
Registered
424 Posts
+1 for Stoners - I ordered a case of 12 from Amazon

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I got Stoner Trim Shine from NAPA along with Stoner Invisible Glass... This is the BEST stuff for cleaning windshields! It applies without running and cleans great; ready for Rain-X. :up::up::up:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
... removed the lower drain plug as shown in the manual. Let a bunch of tranny fluid drain out... then removed the upper fill plug.
Might I suggest that next time you change your trans fluid you start by taking the fill plug out and replacing it (or at least loosening it) before you remove the drain plug.

There are times where the fill plug can not be removed and now you have just drained your trans fluid without a way to replace it ;). Loosening the fill plug first would alert you to this problem before you drip out your lubricant.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Might I suggest that next time you change your trans fluid you start by taking the fill plug out and replacing it (or at least loosening it) before you remove the drain plug.
+1,000 This should always be standard procedure...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Stoner's Trim Shine

No one seemed to have this stuff, but the local NAPA guy got it for me overnight – it works great!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
No one seemed to have this stuff, but the local NAPA guy got it for me overnight – it works great!
The only auto parts store around here that sometimes carries it is O'Reileys
I've ordered it online before and the last time I was in a store and saw it I picked up an extra can to have on hand. A can lasts a really long time.
It also works well to spray it on a foam paint brush and then use it so you don't overspray on the paint.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
dielectric grease used lightly, works great lasts for months...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts