The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a trustworthy transporting company to ship a lotus from Austin to upstate NY?
Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Horseless Carriage shipped my Elise when it was new and they did an outstanding job (even gave me a verbal vehicle condition and careful visual inspection report when they picked it up). They have really clean well maintained enclosed transporters and very professional drivers that really care about your car. They can be a bit pricey, but if your car is shipped with others, the price can be very reasonable as mine was.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does anyone know of a trustworthy transporting company to ship a lotus from Austin to upstate NY?
Thanks..
I went with Fedex Auto Transport (Passport) to ship mine a couple of weeks ago. I posted on a separate thread how disconcerting it was to watch the unload, but when it was all said and done Fedex did a nice job. The car arrived in pristine condition and I was able to call them and get an update as to where the car was while it was en route.

FWIW - I don't believe there are any 'bargains' to be had when it comes to shipping. Transport companies run on thin margins and they all pay the same for diesel which is their biggest operating expense. I got quotes from about a dozen places. The three I see often recommended are Intercity, Fedex and Horseless Carriage. All 3 had nearly the same price and they were solidly in the middle of the spectrum. Just make sure whoever you use is enclosed. You don't want your Elise showing up with a puddle inside.

And yes, I was the a-hole who clicked BuyItNow seconds before you did. :rolleyes: Sorry. Glad you were able to get the car in Austin!

Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Sorry I can't give you a lead, but I do advise you to avoid Dependable (cough, cough) Auto Shippers (DAS).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Agree with the post on DAS - have read MANY horror stories.

I have used road scholar twice - great company. The drivers really car about the cars. And compared to the big names (e.g. intercity) far less expensive.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just had Intercity ship 2 cars from my dad's estate to me; perfect as expected. Toledo to Hartford was $800 for each car. Their trucks are amazing. Horesless Carriage and Road Scholar were both about $1200. Hog Haulers was $810, then they announced that as of May 1 they were only serving the "western US".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fedex Custom Critical - Used to be Passport Transport.​

I shipped quite a few cars over the years and these guys have always been professional, friendly and on time. I learned the hard way, if you go with the cheapest transporter, you are likely to have trouble. You will be lied to regarding pickup and delivery times, angry truckers, filthy trailers and so on.

To me, the most nerve racking time is when your car is being delivered. It's just not worth the anxiety.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Reliable is great. I have used them and so have lots of others I know.

Google Reliable Auto Transport.

Where in Upstate NY are you. Potential LOONY?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
If you get it to Louisville....I might be able to drive it up for you to Buffalo.

Just a thought...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts