The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a 2005 Elise in the next 2 weeks in the East coast US, and have it shipped to Northern Europe. I've already arranged with a company in Newark, NJ to load it into a 20 foot container and ship it over. It will be the only item in the container.

Are there any special precautions I should take? I plan to ship it with the hard-top installed. The shipping takes approximately 25 days, so I assume the battery will die during that time. I will need to have it unloaded immediately from the port to avoid penalties for not having the container returned in a timely manner, so a jump-start may be required. I see from the owner's manual that jump-starting is not recommended, but I probably don't have much choice in the matter.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why not disconnect the battery...or just put another battery in the container (sounds like you will have plenty of room). You might also want to consider adding some other accessories to the container, those that can be purchased cheaper in the US. Good luck.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've shipped several cars to/from Europe. My recommendation is to remove everything of value from the car; otherwise it will get stolen. They will probably need to move car around the port before and after containerization (through customs and various staging areas), so disconnecting the battery is not a good idea. The stevedores will will jump start the car on the other end if necessary. Your experiences may vary.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
ameeriklane said:
I will need to have it unloaded immediately from the port to avoid penalties for not having the container returned in a timely manner, so a jump-start may be required. I see from the owner's manual that jump-starting is not recommended, but I probably don't have much choice in the matter.
The manual doesn't say that you can't jump start it; it says that you shouldn't push or tow start it.

Owner's Manual said:
‘Jump’ Starting
If the battery becomes discharged to the extent that the engine
cannot be started, proprietary good quality ‘jumper cables’
may be used to connect with the battery of a second car in order
to provide the energy necessary for starting.
Owner's Manual said:
NOTICE:
• Improper jumper cable connection can damage the alternator
and other electrical components.
• Do not attempt to push or tow start the car, as damage to the
catalytic converter or other parts could be caused.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Elise will be shipped out next week. Any recommendations about if I should use a car cover while it is stored in the container? The shipping company said they generally don't do it as the rubbing of the car cover can damage the finish.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Elise will be shipped out next week. Any recommendations about if I should use a car cover while it is stored in the container? The shipping company said they generally don't do it as the rubbing of the car cover can damage the finish.
Make sure they secure the car with tire straps only. That is a must. Seen some cars strapped with the holes in the chassis just to rip out the holes during shipment. Might cost a little more but well worth it. Car cover wouldn't be necessary. Don't see the rubbing part being an issue but it's not needed. Jump starting will not harm anything. The problem with you disconnecting the battery is I am sure they will reconnect it when they load the container and not take the time to disconnect it when they are done. Have a spare battery in the trunk during shipping? Just my two cents.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure they secure the car with tire straps only. That is a must. Seen some cars strapped with the holes in the chassis just to rip out the holes during shipment. Might cost a little more but well worth it. Car cover wouldn't be necessary. Don't see the rubbing part being an issue but it's not needed. Jump starting will not harm anything. The problem with you disconnecting the battery is I am sure they will reconnect it when they load the container and not take the time to disconnect it when they are done. Have a spare battery in the trunk during shipping? Just my two cents.
Thanks for the warning about the tire straps -- I appreciate the advice.

I'll be using a shipping company that specializes in shipping cars to Europe, and they will be loading the auto into the container on their own, so I could indeed ask them to disconnect the battery. I also know the company that will unload it when it arrives in port (they will also do the single-type certification to register the car), so I can point this out.

In terms of the battery dying, I heard it's due to the battery drain used by the alarm/immobilizer. What if I told them just to leave the car unlocked? Would the alarm not be armed and then there's no risk of battery drain?

Transit time is 20-25 days, so that's how long the car will be sitting (err... floating :D )

·
Registered
891 Posts
Inform them that the flatbed car -that will pick up elise from seller to shipping company`s warehouses- to be ready for accepting a car with 11cm height from floor ...

Usually they are making small but noticable damages on the bottom end of frond clam when they are loading the car ..

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks for the warning about the tire straps -- I appreciate the advice.

I'll be using a shipping company that specializes in shipping cars to Europe, and they will be loading the auto into the container on their own, so I could indeed ask them to disconnect the battery. I also know the company that will unload it when it arrives in port (they will also do the single-type certification to register the car), so I can point this out.

In terms of the battery dying, I heard it's due to the battery drain used by the alarm/immobilizer. What if I told them just to leave the car unlocked? Would the alarm not be armed and then there's no risk of battery drain?

Transit time is 20-25 days, so that's how long the car will be sitting (err... floating :D )
Battery will be absolutelly failed when you will receive the car . sorry .

I have bought twice from US and my friend once so both 3 times cars received with failed batteries ...

90% you will ned a new one .... be ready on this ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts