The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the first shipment that is sent out will go to the West Coast, since it takes longer for the boats to get there?

This way if cars are sent out on 4/30 to the west coast and 5/15 to the east coast, both will get them around the same time?

Or does the west coast just have to wait longer?

Chris and Randy, I know you cant comment on what you might know about allocation or shipments, but werent all of the cars at the press release flown over? Were they able to get all of them on one cargo plane or did they need several? Does flying increase the likelyhood of damage due to the severe angles and speed used for taking off and landing?

How much more would it cost to fly them to the west coast than to ship them thru the Panama Canal?

I think I may have found a use for the retired British Airways Concordes- Same day shipping

·
Registered
971 Posts
xxxotic said:
I think I may have found a use for the retired British Airways Concordes- Same day shipping
Even the Elise would have a hard time fitting in a Concorde. Them's not very big airplanes. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Overseas Transportation

Do we know the west coast cars are going through the canal? That sounds both expensive and inefficient.

Seems to me more likely that all the cars will be shipped to one or one of several east coast ports and then the mid-west and west coast cars either trucked to rail shipped to the distribution point. Being in containers - which sounds confirmed - makes me feel a lot more comfortable about these overland options.

For the N. California area I think the dealer distribution point is Reno. Maybe they'll be sent rail to that point and then on vehicle carriers to the dealers.

Can anyone "in the know" shed some light? :cool:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The shipping charge seems to be $795 for everyone, regardless of which coast they head for, so it seems that Lotus would pick the cheapest method.

I'm not in the know, but in January at the LA Auto Show one of the Lotus guys (Nick or Tony?) thought that the west coast cars would come into Port Hueneme (but he wasn't certain). From there, could travel by truck or rail.

I'm willing to fork out an extra $24.95 for FedEx overnight delivery, but I'm not sure that they make big enough boxes for the Elise.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
2 POEs - Charleston for the east and another in SoCal for the west (exact western POE was still TBD when last discussed. )

Cars are prepped in Hethel, containerized and shipped to the POE. Containers unloaded by designated LCU/Lotus personnel or contractor. Cars loaded onto enclosed trucks (LCU has had a long time relationship with Horseless) and shipped to dealers.

This is the same for both coasts.

No more info is known at this time... it's doubtful we'll know any more for the next 10 days at LCU is BURIED with the moving the office.

....breathe....

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
jml1952 said:
I'm willing to fork out an extra $24.95 for FedEx overnight delivery, but I'm not sure that they make big enough boxes for the Elise.
Use DHL instead - Delivering Held-up Loti

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Or perhaps consider using AIRBORNE -

Alloting Inspired Roadsters of British Origin Really Needing Expediting :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts