The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive been back and forth to az getting the house situated and its come time to move my cars. i have to ship m lotus, 350z (doesn't run yet, in the middle of a built turbo ls1 swap), and sl500. does anybody have a reputable company that can ship cars for around $600 a piece from Milwaukee WI to Scottsdale AZ? also a moving truck company that inst an arm and a leg.

last quote i got was back in November (apparently a popular time to ship cars) and was quoted 1200 per vehicle.

the moving truck and trailer i sourced for the gf's stuff was about $1800 total excluding gas.

if i can minimize her stuff to move and can get away with no moving truck that would be ideal. then id really just have to source a car shipping company for at least 2 cars (if i drive one down)

an help/info would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
I ended up trying uship for our last move. Open trailer from Dallas to Tampa was ~$400 and got there in about 4 or 5 days. This was for an older bmw though, not the lotus.

When I needed to ship another car I actually just called the same company instead of going through uship and got it cheaper because I didn't have to pay the uship fees and such.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any info on what the original company was? uship is the bidding company correct?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
any info on what the original company was? uship is the bidding company correct?
Umm, just thinking off the top of my head, it was something like CC transport or something like that.

But you can just list your cars on there with where they need to go and people will make you offers, and I ended up accepting one after a few companies bid it down to around $400.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I went on uShip and contracted Montway Shipping, who contracted Autogistics to ship my Elise. Came out to 500 or less (uShip had a rebate at the time) in an open trailer from AZ to CA.

Risky, but no complaints. The driver from Autogistics was awesome to say the least. He rearranged his whole rig for me because there was a "dripper" on the trailer and he didn't want oil to land on the Elise. Only bad thing that happened was a rock chip on the Starshield on my passenger sideview mirror. YMMV.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another vote for Uship. I also shipped my Exige from Tucson to LA for a couple bucks in an enclosed trailer. Just wait for the right price and transporter to come along.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've heard bad things about uship - you don't control the subcontractor. I have used Reliable. It may not be cheap, but you will get very good service and no damages.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The only way you'll get down to $600 per car is with open transport. Any high-end enclosed trailer runs about a buck per mile (reliable, intercity, horseless carriage, curves ahead). With that being said I've had nothing but great experiences with Intercity.

Good luck!

·
Registered
580 Posts
In my line of work I have literally been involved in shipping over 10,000 cars. I have had issues with very few. My reccomendation would be to get it on the top behind another car. The car over the cab usually gets pretty dirty and covered in bugs but there isnt much debris flying 12 feet in the air (birds, small airplanes). The biggest concern is taking the time to line the ramps up right so you dont scrape. After that dont worry about it. Most of these guys are insured and it costs them money if they damage your car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Open shipping vs closed

I would NEVER ship a car I cared about on an open carrier. All kinds of things can happen. And, the carrier may have insurance, but do you want the incredible hassle of trying to collect damages? -eek-

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have shipped $100k+ cars on open carriers more than 100 times with no issues. Whats going to happen? find a reputable carrier and let it ride. BMW Ships their new cars on closed carriers, Mercedes near me ships them on opens. These are new cars. get new car white paint protectant film if your nervous and wrap the car. The type of damage your likely going to get on a carrier is the same open or closed. Scraping on the ramps is the most likely and its just as easy to scrape on a high rail as an enclosed.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
When I bought mine it shipped over 3000 miles. I was loaded first in a enclosed trailer, strapped down, and covered with the car cover. He guaranteed it would not move until at my front door. Also included were a full extra set of tires and rims and 5 boxes of oem parts. Cost was $1400.00 and I gave him an extra $100.00 tip.

·
Registered
580 Posts
When I bought mine it shipped over 3000 miles. I was loaded first in a enclosed trailer, strapped down, and covered with the car cover. He guaranteed it would not move until at my front door. Also included were a full extra set of tires and rims and 5 boxes of oem parts. Cost was $1400.00 and I gave him an extra $100.00 tip.

Thats a great deal. I usually estimate cost to cost at about $1000 for just the car so $400 for your piece of mind and extra parts sounds cheap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts