The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Anyone knows of a good, inexpensive shipper? I found Cosmos Auto Inc in Fullerton, CA to ship my Exige from NY to SF in an enclosed trailer for $1290. Is that an ok price?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
that sounds too cheap. I shipped from philly to SF for $1800 and my other quotes were $2k+. of course this was using intercity, fedex passport, and horseless carriage which are some of the more wel respected shippers.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You can get it much cheaper if:

a) you are willing to drop off and/or pick up the car.
b) ship in an open trailer
c) flexible with your dates

If a truck is headed cross country and has room for one more, it's a lot cheaper than being the first car on the truck to go. If you have friends at a local dealership talk to them, they might have contacts in the industry that can get you a good rate.

I shipped my Audi cross country (Boston to Seattle) delivered to my house and it was about $900 for the shipping and another $200 or so for the agency that arranged the shipping for me. For a Lotus you'll probably want an enclosed truck to save it from the elements.

I just priced out a Lotus from NY to WA and it was anywhere from $800 to $1600 depending on how many options I threw on to the delivery. You can also find yourself paying a lot more depending on how much insurance you want to buy from the shipping company.

--

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi,

Anyone knows of a good, inexpensive shipper? I found Cosmo shipping to ship my Exige from NY to SF in an enclosed trailer for $1390. Is that an ok price?
That does sound way too cheap. At least ask for references.
Also--under NO circumstances should you consider open trailer shipping--especially in the middle of winter!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Your rate sounds super cheap. I ship cars cross country all the time and it's typically around 2k -2.5k to NY. Make sure they are reliable and legit.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
"save" your money and use a very reputable service... a cheap one could cost you many thousands more....

i used Horselss - left the car at FOW and picked it up at symbolic - i didn't pay though, i have no idea what the cost was - car was delivered flawless (if not a bit dusty dirty), a cheaper carrier might tie it down by the suspension, or something else silly.

had an m100 deilivered from from FL to VA - all i remember is they were not one of the big names in exoctic cars, and if it saved a few hundred it certainly was not worth the 3 week late delivery and having to drive 20 miles to go get the car in some truck stop at night....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Factory Five Racing has used Stewart Transport for years. I used them once and was satisfied. I think $1400 sounds about right for coast to coast, just call and they will give you a prompt estimate, looking at their website the contact guy is still Colin: he was there 3 years ago at least. When my car arrived I looked in the large enclosed trailer and there were some pretty expensive cars inside. The driver appeared very knowledgeable and had worked for them for years as well.

There are a lot of ways to damage a car while shipping it. Especially these cars with their limited clearance.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I used HogHaulers http://www.hoghaulersinc.com/ to ship my Elise from GA to CA.

It cost about $1700.
They are fully insured
Took about 2 weeks with a delay.
They only have a few trucks (3 I think?) So they know where all their trucks are at all times.
They gave me the mobile number to the truck driver so I could call him directly if I so desired.
They picked up from the previous owner's residence & delivered to mine - door to door, no issues.
The driver called me with status reports on a couple of occasions (like when their fuel line broke & they had to install a new one).

Top notch operation. Highly recommended

·
Registered
74 Posts
hog haulers

i used them to ship and Elise from Minneapolis to LA, car came off the truck immaculate and they were much cheaper than the other transport companies. Highly reccommended

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i used them to ship and Elise from Minneapolis to LA, car came off the truck immaculate and they were much cheaper than the other transport companies. Highly reccommended
I bit the bullet and used Cosmos Auto Inc. Put the order in two days ago. They picked up the car this morning. Amazing service so far. I should get the car in 10 days. Will update then.

BTW, they got 24 complaints with BBB but they also sent me 20 page testimonials...so I'll hold my tongue until the car arrives.

Price was $1290 from NY to CA. Others are charging $2000+.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How was the car using Cosmos???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts