The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the PIC below. I wound up damaging the LHS of a left shoe as shown. It turns out that this happened when that area of the shoe touched a sharp edge on the upper right hand side of the dead pedal during clutch duty. I marked the edge in question with an arrow. It's very easy to file this sharp edge to a round one. Takes like 5 minutes. While I was down there I smoothed out a few more edges and corners too. As Randy has pointed out, this might not be the world's best choice of cars for barefoot driving. No you can't file the pedal edges while seated in the car! Caution: Do not file your pedals while you are driving the vehicle either...

These particular shoes have a thin nylon top with some suede along the sides. The damage didn't occur with one event, it happened over a period of time, and would not occur were my feet properly on the pedals. I don't have large feet either...just 9 1/2 normal width.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
>>>Asics classics huh? How do you like them other than the wear problem?<<<

They are cheap and excellent for driving. They are running shoes, but they have a narrow sole as you can see, which is good for pedal work. They are comfortable enough for walking around in at an event without getting sore feet and come in various colors. They suck in wet weather as they have zero water resistance. They are marked Tiger instead of Asics, maybe because they are an Asics Classic?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
But stan to do that you basically have to slide your foot BEHIND the dead pedal, is that what you do?
CHris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
>>>But stan to do that you basically have to slide your foot BEHIND the dead pedal, is that what you do?<<<

No, but I have my foot at an angle towards the left a bit when that foot is on the pedal. That is, my foot is not perfectly vertical when I'm am working the clutch. Maybe 11:00. When you actuate the clutch pedal, I noted that there just wasn't much clearance between my shoe and the side of the dead pedal. And the tear in the shoe lines up perfectly with the upper RHS of the dead pedal. It's pretty tight down there and there is not as much room as it appears from that file photo of an Elise footwell. There is ample room when foot position is good though. With all the shifting over the last 5,000 miles and the fragile nature of those particular shoes this seems to have been the result, because most of the time there is no contact. And other shoes have survived the ordeal with nary a scratch or scuff. In any event now that there are smooth, rounded edges down below, my shoes may be sighing with relief.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
(A)No you can't file the pedal edges while seated in the car!
(B)Do not file your pedals while you are driving the vehicle either...
Given (A), then nobody should really have to be told to follow (B). But just in case anyone is that nuts, the hidden assumption that links the two is:
(C)Do not drive the car when you are not seated in it!!!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Gee...i'm not such a hot dancer either...here's what my foot does from time to time...it's not hard to do..pedal part way depressed in the PIC. You can see what happened to the shoe!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
My foot ends up there too.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
No Dead Pedal Problem

I solved the dead pedal problem a different way: removing out. Check out the photo. I still need to remove the black smudge from the adhesive, but I know what kind of solvent to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey I have those same type shoes, except mine are all suede. They make awesome driving shoes. I'm wearing mine right now actually. There are 4 reasons I bought those shoes:

1) They are comfortable
2) They look good
3) They make good driving/everyday shoes
4) I'll let you guess (It has to do with my screen name and the name of the shoe ;) )

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Stan:

I'm a lawyer, and I saw the whole thing. When we're done with Lotus, we will OWN that company! :D

Neil

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice dress socks with the Pumas!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
These are my everyday shoes, great for driving too:

Only problem 1st time I bought a pair of these, It was unconfortable behind my ankle because they are so low cut around the ankle, but I got used to them.

Not driving shoes but they are great for walking and driving! I bought my 1st pair at the Drag Races in Ennis a while back and every year that I go to the races I pick up a pair.

The 1st two pairs did crack in the middle of the sole after a year or so. They did replace my 2nd pair because I took the broken ones to the track. My last pairs are just fine.

I didn't go to the races this year, so I'll buy a pair online :)

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=98&prod_id=721

[Disclaimer]
if you are not used to wear low ankle shoes, you might find them unconfortable, takes time to get used to them.[/Disclaimer]

Maybe the Pit ones or the Athletic ones are more confortable. The driving ones are nice, but you can't use them to walk around.

Ah, and they are pretty inexpensive too.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
How do you get the dead pedal off? A heat gun? Acetone? Also let me know what worked to remove the rest of the adhesive.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Stan said:
I wound up damaging the LHS of a left shoe as shown. It turns out that this happened when that area of the shoe touched a sharp edge on the upper right hand side of the dead pedal during clutch duty.
Should be covered under warranty. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can't believe you still have your dead pedal! It's dead - get rid of it! That's a 1/2 pound of dead weight! You are such an American...always trying to find ways to add weight to your car and justify a bigger engine. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts