The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I just spoke with Dan w/ Scottsdale Lotus and he said the shooting happened at Scottsdale Motorsports, which is just down the street friom them. But considering they also carry Ferraris and Lambos*(they have a Gallardo), it could have very easily been Scottsdale Lotus.

Sometimes you think it can't happen to you, until it happens to someone close by. :(

*http://www.lotusofscottsdale.com/othercars.html

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Glad no innocent people were hurt.

Maybe this guy was on a waiting list for years and years and they kept pushing back the delivery date, and never communicated anything to him or other customers. So one day he is FED up and goes postal.

Lotus?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the situation could have gotten much worse. I think they guy may have been in self-destruct mode. My guess is that he had already decided he was going to died and do so by stealing a Ferrari, getting into a highspeed chase (last joy ride) and commit suicide-by-cop.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Father who lives in Prescott (and is on the Elise list in Scottsdale, that is how I heard about this all the way in Boston) said the TV news made it sound as if an employee got shot

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps, but now the interior color is the same as the outside color, doh!

Is it OK to make tasteless jokes at the expense of a criminal?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Great free publicity for Ferrari. Makes people wonder whether this is a car worth dying for. Too bad for all involved. Life is cruel.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
mopho said:
Perhaps, but now the interior color is the same as the outside color, doh!

Is it OK to make tasteless jokes at the expense of a criminal?
You might have asked him, but now he's out of his head.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
They say evil can start with a lack of sympathy/empathy. It's sad when someone is so distrought that they would actually do something like that. If he hurt someone else that would be a different thing, but that is not the case here. Why anyone would think it's funny is beyond me. Oh well as long as we are entertained :rolleyes: what else matters right?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
They say evil starts with a lack of sympathy/empathy. It's sad when someone is so distrought that they would actually do something like that. If he hurt someone else that would be a different thing, but that is not the case here. Why anyone would think it's funny is beyond me. Oh well as long as we are entertained :rolleyes: what else matters right?
He may have had all sorts of issues, but it certainly doesnt justify his actions or the possibility that he could have hurt someone with a stray bullet or, had he stolen the car, by causing a chase that would have put countless others in danger. What he did was criminal. Simple as that. I do not feel any sympathy for him.

It seems to be the trend nowadays to justify someones actions by blaming others. Maybe his mom beat him as a child. Maybe his company just downsized and he lost his job. There could be a million excuses. But they are simply that...excuses. No one seems to want to take responsibility for their own mistakes. That's why there are so many frivolous lawsuits. I can go on...but I wont.

Perhaps it is bad humor to make fun of this mans suicide. But I must say that I am ecstatic that this criminal did not hurt anyone else during his careless act. I'm sure the woman he attacked is most certainly scared.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That's a bit heavyhanded 1FASTMX5.

Humor runs to very different ends. It is not so simplistic. In some cases it's a defense to the offensiveness of a particular situation.

I highly doubt that the woman who had a rifle held to her head would tell you she went untraumatized. Imagine if she were your mother/sister. I am sympathetic to her situation.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
It seems to be the trend nowadays to justify someones actions by blaming others. Maybe his mom beat him as a child. Maybe his company just downsized and he lost his job. There could be a million excuses. But they are simply that...excuses. No one seems to want to take responsibility for their own mistakes. That's why there are so many frivolous lawsuits. I can go on...but I wont.
:clap:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Shooting oneself is not a victimless crime. Someone has to deal with the aftermath. If you have been there, as I have, it can be pretty horrific. If the mess was contained in the car, that would be a good thing anyway.

But even though this kind of stuff cuts pretty close to me...because of my experiences... I understand it's just dark humor and not really a lack of empathy. It's a lot easier to make a joke about someone you don't know... about a story on the internet. I am sure nobody in this thread would do that if they knew the person or it affected someone here.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I don't have a problem actually with any of your points. I certainly in no intended to give the impression that it justifies his actions. What I do find somewhat distrurbing is in that someones pain (his or those effected) is so amusing. I don't think it's a victimless crime. I should know as I have seen it first hand more then once. It's just a sad event and joking about the extent of the Ferrari value and status etc. seems a bit disonnected. Anyway, carry on. I guess most will assume things about the man and will feel comfortable about finding the levity of the situatuion. Maybe I'm just bringing in more of personal life experience with this issue then others. I just wonder sometimes how numb we all are becoming as a society.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Maybe I'm just bringing in more of personal life experience with this issue then others.
I know I am.

P.S. My point is that the whole "disconnected" thing is part of the relatively disconnected internet experience. Not much different when someone reads a newspaper here and reads about 600 people drowning in China, shrugs and turns the page while drinking his Starbucks. Being empathetic to so much horror in the world, I would think it would be more difficult to be a happy person. So most people do disconnect to some extent.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
originally posted by Modern Wedgie
I do not feel any sympathy for him.

i'm not saying i feel sorry for him to make up for his excuses. I'm just sorry that his life ended the way it did. I don't think anyone would imagine themselves committing suicide. Something in his life must have really messed him up and his lack of strength was his demise.

Different people have different life experiences, and those life experiences may they be good or bad, will shape that person's life. It's not an excuse, it's a circumstance. To say a mom beat her child as an excuse is wrong. It happened to the child and that child has to learn to adjust to his/her circumstance to overcome it. If the child goes on to a life of crime, well that child wasn't able to handle the negative and horrible environment.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I was surprised when I spent a little time around paramedics... at first I was shocked, then I think I grew to understand the humor in the tragedy around them. I think it was required.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts