The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
Did you go into the store and talk to the manager? They may have to cover the cost if an employee did the damage. Worth a try...

Reactions: Mark-It-Zero

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you go into the store and talk to the manager? They may have to cover the cost if an employee did the damage. Worth a try...
Yup, they told me to call the police and make a report. Police told me nothing they or the store can do since it wasn’t malicious/intentional and wouldn’t be able to find the person that did it since no employee fessed up to the damage.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
I am guessing they have no cameras in the parking lot or at least they will not allow you to see the footage. Bad situation, sorry to hear about it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
How do you know an employee did it then?

Side Story: We had an incident at a Home Depot where my wife left her purse in a cart and it disappeared. We reported it at customer service. Ironically, a woman overheard us reporting it as she was leaving. She got in the car with her husband who was an off duty officer. They then saw an employee putting a cart back in storage with a purse in it. The officer trailed the kid while his wife got management. The cash was gone and the kid had it. We got everything back and the kid got arrested.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,517 Posts
Is it a chain grocery store? I'd take it up the chain! That response from the employee and especially the management is TOTALLY unacceptable. Corporate should hear!

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Is it a chain grocery store? I'd take it up the chain! That response from the employee and especially the management is TOTALLY unacceptable. Corporate should hear!
For sure talk to the chain's management. Managers are inept in the grocery store business. Ironic for the monthly take they bring in.

A shopping cart was on our street for a week. I called constantly and got one excuse after the next. Called corporate and told them the story line; gone within a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
File the claim, you pay your insurance company well. It is in their interest to be able to offset the expense. Tell them what you saw, give them the report which BTW it is police responsibilty to file!. Let insurance pursue. Fortunately, scratch is nominal and the side marker is cheap too.
Years ago, in my office driveway, a 2nd floor tenant's reception lightly backed into me as I was backing out. Never knew she was in car (on phone of course). Her reverse lights were not on. She hung up, dropped in reverse and admitted she never looked. Mortified she hit my LOTUS! The gentle 1/2 mph rub left some scratches (btw Persian Blue), popped same side marker. 95% buffed out.

SH!! happens, but the real issue is the punk with no morals.........walk in and see who cowers. They know damn well who they sent out that day!

Reactions: RodneyAE

·
Registered
Coming Soon!
54 Posts
This kind of stuff drives me nuts. I once watched a kid get into his moms car, open the door into my 2 week old car (thankfully not the Lotus) and leave the door resting against it as they jumped in and sat down. Made a nice dent and scratch. The mom who was there claimed no responsibility whatsoever. People...

As for this situation, besides going the insurance route, I'd also advocate for being as much of a part of the solution as you can. I take my Lotus to the grocery probably 3 times a week for something or another and I always pick-up and put away a cart or two on the way in. If as many people did that as leave the carts in the middle of the parking lot, the world would be a much better place, and the Lotuses could roam free without fear of cart damage!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I always pick-up and put away a cart or two on the way in. If as many people did that as leave the carts in the middle of the parking lot, the world would be a much better place, and the Lotuses could roam free without fear of cart damage!
I started doing the same. I want to be bet positive on shopping carts. I bring 2-3 back with me when I go in. As for parking, it’s always away, uphill and upwind. I’ve seen shopping carts self start and gain unnerving speed.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I bought my Evora at discount as it had a similar grocery market ding on the Carfax. Rear quarter panel so was able to verify no fiberglass work. The touch up job was awful; had runs in it. Had my body shop work with the selling dealership to fix and it was like it never happened. Aspen white paint ain't cheap from the dealer!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Luckily those scratches look like they will buff out. You are lucky that it was not more severe.

When I park my Elise at a store I always look at the gradient of the lot and make sure a cart would not roll my way.

Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I figured the scratches will buff out for the most part, save for the small fiberglass hairline crack. Ordered new side lamps and should be good as new, didn’t want to pull a deductible for that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts