The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 installed in my Exige for 3yrs now. It's been sitting on its own battery tender. Today when I went to run the Lotus, I smelled something bad from the trunk. It turns out, there was smoke coming out from the battery and when I pulled it out, it was half melted.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I've had the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 installed in my Exige for 3yrs now. It's been sitting on its own battery tender. Today when I went to run the Lotus, I smelled something bad from the trunk. It turns out, there was smoke coming out from the battery and when I pulled it out, it was half melted.
My Shorai (same model) sits for months on the Shorai battery charger/conditioner. I've had it for over 5 years and have a Shorai in two of my three motorcycles. No issues. Pics please and what battery tender?

San

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Shorai's own battery tender.

Here's a link to the video I took.

melted Shorai

·
7,598 Posts
I use Shorai's own battery tender.

Here's a link to the video I took.

melted Shorai
They'll surely want that battery for analysis, probably the charger too.

Years ago I called Shorai for some data not on their website. After speaking to them about a dead battery (way outside of the warranty period) they asked me to fill out a warranty claim. They wanted the dead battery back and shipped me a refurbished battery, which looked new to me. On top of the generous amount of adhesive-backed foam, the battery they sent me was the recommended battery that I hadn't purchased, as I went with a lighter, less expensive model. So they gave me the more expensive model. Great customer service.

I hope everything works out for you. Any damage to the Exige?

San

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll contact Shorai and see what they say. I actually have a spare Shorai battery that I was able to swap in. But I don't know if the BMS is faulty, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

There was no damage to the Exige. I noticed the smoke in the trunk when I went through my usual checks and was able to pull out the battery. I ended up having to pour sand on the battery to stop its smoking and hazard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the BMS was set on store mode.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I purchased mine 3+ years ago and have have a shutoff that is in the off position unless I'm driving it. In three years I haven't had to attach the Shorai charger on the battery. This battery still spins the 1.8 very quicklly. When I purchased the battery they were not rated for automotive purposes but as Stan indicates above they will honor the warranty even when installed in a small vehicle.

·
7,598 Posts
I purchased mine 3+ years ago and have have a shutoff that is in the off position unless I'm driving it. In three years I haven't had to attach the Shorai charger on the battery. This battery still spins the 1.8 very quicklly. When I purchased the battery they were not rated for automotive purposes but as Stan indicates above they will honor the warranty even when installed in a small vehicle.
It's San. Not many with that name, so I've heard Stan, Sam even Sand before. It's actually short for Sanford, my middle name.

San

1 - 11 of 11 Posts