The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motorcycle battery died and I was looking for a replacement. I tried the motorcycle forums for replacement alternatives and people were suggesting shorai Lithium-Iron batteries as one of the lightest choices with even higher capacity. Now the interesting part is that my motorcycle uses a deka ext20l variant. I figured since a lot of people use this variant for the elise, then the shorai battery equivalient could also work for the elise. It turns out that shorai headquarters are in Sunnyvale, ca which is a few minutes drive from my home. So I visited them to check out the battery in person and ended up buying one of these:

ShoraiUsa - LFX36L3-BS12

The battery is very light ~5lbs. Has ~36a/h equivalent capacity and enough CCA to start the elise with no issues. It is smaller than the deka ext20l although it ships with foam packaging to make it bigger and fit the corresponding motorcycle housing. I ignored the foam parts and fabricated my own mount after a visit to home depot. Also used some velcro in the bottom to make it even more secure.

It does not have the sophisticated electronics to shut it down if it goes too low so people need to keep an eye on it. I have been running it for about 2 months with no problems. I went for 10 days without starting the car while the alarm was engaged and then measured the amps and it still showed up fine and it started the car fine. Some interesting information I did not know (a) Lithium-Iron batteries like to be kept above 13v and up to 13.8v-14v, (b) they charge really really fast compared to regular batteries, (c) 13.8 is full but 13.1 is like 50%, so it is not really a linear voltage loss, (d) not all chargers work with it, by my motorcycle battery tender junior works fine.

I was looking into the chimera for a while but I missed on the group buy. Now I am happy I found this one to use.

I thought I would post it here in case other people were interested.

A funny incident, when I got the box in my hands I thought the salesman just gave me a mockup to see how it looks like. The battery is so light, it just feels wrong :)

·
hello
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, battery is charging fine in the car. I have a stock 2005 Elise. Street, track, autox, no problem so far.

·
Registered
128 Posts
well I have used the Shorai battery for motorcycles. no problem. I ordered the same battery and will put in the Evora. at 4.96 lbs this is a 32lb savings over the stock battery. i thought about buying two smaller capacities (say 21amps) and putting them in parallel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts