21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Elige= Exige and Elise. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a S2 Federal Elise, I have searched to see if there's info. around, but most people are concerned if tall people fit an Elise and not if those on the other side of the bell curve do. I'm but 5 feet tall with a proportional torso to leg length ratio (i.e. I don't have super short legs relative to my height), but have not evaluated an Elise to see if it could be livable or not.

Does anyone have experience to help me out?

If a few calibration points are useful, here they are:

-My 1970 Elan Plus 2S is no problem
-My 74 Europa Special is more of a challenge, but I think that's a general statement for the Europa
-My daily driver is a 2nd Gen. Volt, and it fits pretty perfectly for a modern car
-I recently had the use of a 2020 Evora for a few days. The clutch pedal was ~1 inch too far way for comfortable everyday use, but more problematic was visibility around the base of the A-pillar/side-mirror. With the driver's seat all the way forward the view out of the driver's side window was horrible and not something I'd like to put up with.

I live in the SF Bay Area, specifically San Jose, in case anyone is nearby, not infected with coronavirus, and able to help out.

If there's an existing thread on the subject, please point me to it.

Thanks - Philip
Hi there
I‘m 5’3 just barely :)
I put a small seat cushion wedge behind my lower back so it kind of forces me to sit up straight and this solves the whole reach the clutch challenge. Sounds crazy but it works!
Cargal

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in South San Jose, near the intersection of Union and Los Gatos Almaden. You are welcome to try to sit in my 2005 Lotus Elise. I am 5'6"

Philip, as well.

I'm considering the purchase of a S2 Federal Elise, I have searched to see if there's info. around, but most people are concerned if tall people fit an Elise and not if those on the other side of the bell curve do. I'm but 5 feet tall with a proportional torso to leg length ratio (i.e. I don't have super short legs relative to my height), but have not evaluated an Elise to see if it could be livable or not.

Does anyone have experience to help me out?

If a few calibration points are useful, here they are:

-My 1970 Elan Plus 2S is no problem
-My 74 Europa Special is more of a challenge, but I think that's a general statement for the Europa
-My daily driver is a 2nd Gen. Volt, and it fits pretty perfectly for a modern car
-I recently had the use of a 2020 Evora for a few days. The clutch pedal was ~1 inch too far way for comfortable everyday use, but more problematic was visibility around the base of the A-pillar/side-mirror. With the driver's seat all the way forward the view out of the driver's side window was horrible and not something I'd like to put up with.

I live in the SF Bay Area, specifically San Jose, in case anyone is nearby, not infected with coronavirus, and able to help out.

If there's an existing thread on the subject, please point me to it.

Thanks - Philip

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Elise will definitely accommodate a short person either with a pillow or by raising the driver's seat.

I'm 5'3" tall. I was able to raise the seat a total of 2" using four 1"x1" stainless steel square pieces of hardware (see picture below), which I bought at Home Depot. The two pieces that run parallel with the car are 15" long from the center of the hole on one end to the center of the hole on the other end. The two pieces that run horizontal to the car (parallel to the aluminium supports to which the seat is bolted) are 16" long from the center of the hole on one end, to the center of the hole on the other end. The OEM rails that allow the seat to be moved forward and back, have a little jog in them (they are not perfectly flat). The beauty of using these four pieces of hardware picture below is that if you set the horizontal pieces on top of the parallel pieces, the hardware does not interfere with the jog in the OEM rails.

The only other thing I had to do was purchase 4 bolts what were exactly 2 inches longer than the OEM bolts. I think the entire exercise cost less than $50 in parts.

Note that even when you raise the seat by 2", the seat top is still just below the roof line. The one thing I didn't appreciate until I put everything together is that by raising the seat, the distance from your seat bottom to the peddles is just a little bit longer. The only disadvantage of raising the seat is that you can't let a 6' friend drive your car because he/she will not fit. I'm not an engineer, so I can't speak to how this set up would fair under crash conditions.

Feel free to private message me and I'll be happy to speak with you if you want more details on pros/cons of this approach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well folks, first, sorry for the radio silence - that isn't exactly fair after all the input that was given.

After much deliberation, I bit the bullet and went for it. With 2 bath towels below my hind end I fit quite nicely. Pedal reach isn't a problem at all, and I can actually take the seat back one click. Everything is pretty perfect, and I've put at least 500 miles on the clock during conservative Shelter in Place driving.

I'm debating seat height modifications vs. just getting a cushion to boost my "arse" up a bit, but at least I have it now and, accordingly, time to figure out what the best compromise might be.

Thanks again, everyone.

Philip

·
490 Posts
Great looking Car Philip! Welcome and congratulations!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Well folks, I bit the bullet and went for it.
First, congrats, you're going to love it.

Second, I had 2 sets of custom seat rails made because I wanted a bit more height (I'm 5'5" and don't race the car, no need to sit on the damn floor), and some rake. I have one set left if you'd like them. Email me for best response: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
638 Posts
Well folks, first, sorry for the radio silence - that isn't exactly fair after all the input that was given.

After much deliberation, I bit the bullet and went for it. With 2 bath towels below my hind end I fit quite nicely. Pedal reach isn't a problem at all, and I can actually take the seat back one click. Everything is pretty perfect, and I've put at least 500 miles on the clock during conservative Shelter in Place driving.

I'm debating seat height modifications vs. just getting a cushion to boost my "arse" up a bit, but at least I have it now and, accordingly, time to figure out what the best compromise might be.
The good news about this is that (as you can now see) the seat is held in with four bolts and comes right out (get a set of long ball-head Allen sockets). Do pay attention to which bolt goes where... You can leave the seatbelt attached and just swing the whole thing so it's sitting outside the car facing backward behind the driver's door if you're planning on putting it back in soon. It is common procedure for people (of any height) to remove the seats regularly for just about any work in the car's interior (usually right after taking the roof off), as well as to adjust the seat height and rake to suit.

Two bath towels sounds like 1-2" of lift. If so, 1" square tube like @SergeLotus used should be just the ticket. That and some longer bolts and you're ready to go. Anti-seize compound is your friend: it can rain inside your Elise, and dissimilar metal corrosion is a concern.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts