The Lotus Cars Community banner

Will you get a short throw shifter if available?

• Yes, I will.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No, it's an option I don't need.

Votes: 3 20.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Is there an option for a short throw shifter for the Elise? I think if there is I will be getting one since the current one is close to my leg when driving. Is anyone else looking to get one?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
He is saying that you cannot decide whether or not you want one without having driven the Federal car first. I agree.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There is no doubt that the shifter will be different. It should also be shorter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To be fair- the S1 shifter was terrible. It was like churning butter at best. The B&M short-shifter I put in the Exige was a 100% improvement. Geary at eliseparts also makes some better trans bushes that are supposed to help as well - I will upgrade these this winter.

And yes - my question was how do you know you need a short-shifter if you haven't driven the car.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I know that it's fairly common for Celica GT-S drivers to blow their engines because of missed shifts, I talked to a guy who did it twice. :eek: Apparently the gears are very closely spaced.

For me, there's no reason to worry about it. Shifters are normally easy to replace, and I'm sure that aftermarket kits will be available quickly if people find that the throws are too long for their taste.

·
Registered
296 Posts
meat said:
my question was how do you know you need a short-shifter if you haven't driven the car.
I'm guessing for the same reason Chris posted this morning in another thread.
zvezdah1 said:
The car is designed and equipped to satisfy the largest percentage of people while still keeping with the whole concept of the Elise.
Some people already know they like shorter, firmer shifts than the majority of other people. Unless it feels better and is as short as an s2k's than I will look for a kit to improve it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cables? that sucks. One thing I have no clue about is the shift linkage for mid engined cars. Anybody out there with an MR Spyder that would like to share how toyota does it and how good the feel is. I'm guessing that a similar set-up will be adopted by Lotus since the powertrain and layout are nearly identical.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
From the R&T write up, don't feel a need for a short shifter... after I've had the car can make up my own mind.

·
Registered
307 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
Anybody out there with an MR Spyder that would like to share how toyota does it and how good the feel is. I'm guessing that a similar set-up will be adopted by Lotus since the powertrain and layout are nearly identical.
The stock setup on the MR2 Spyder is good, but I like my B&M short shifter. The problem with the sotck setup is that Toyota used soft rubber bushings. this gave the shifter a sloppy feel. The shifter cage rocked back and forth even in gear. I'm not sure if the elise will have the same setup.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
meat said:

And yes - my question was how do you know you need a short-shifter if you haven't driven the car.
The car I drove was the 111S making its way around the country. My opinion is based upon this driving experience. I don't think anyone here has driven the US car either.
I have see no solid evidence that the shifter is positioned any differently or is any shorter than on the Euro demos going around. Have you? If so please post the link.

At this juncture all our opinions are based upon driving the Euro cars. Performance aside the reason I want the short shifter is so the gear stick will not hit my leg.

I have big legs (Leg press 1500 plus pounds, I can almost leg press this whole car). If you don't have big legs too bad. I do, and if I discover I need a short shifter to be comfortable driving this car, so the stick doesn't hit my leg, then guess what?

I'm gonna get one.
It's kind like McDonalds, "you can have it your way":)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The car I drove was the 111S making its way around the country.
I am on record as the shifter being the only obvious negative to the car. It was too long and too rubbery. I know the present Celica Shifter is not like that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Metal bushings like the ones that came out for the MR2 Spyder could be an option to get rid of the "rubbery" feeling. That is if they used the soft rubber bushings. That would keep the same throw lengths, but still stiffen the feel. Just another option. We will see once the car comes in.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Derek

That's the attitude you need - after you have driven the car make up your mind. Until then, everything is speculation.

As a side note - from pictures it appears the shifter has been moved backwards towards the driver in the Fed car.

Also, there are several people who have driven the Fed car on this BBS. I could drive one tomorrow if I wanted to fly to Atlanta, but I don't have the time currently (I'm too busy trying to improve my leg press right now;))

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My $.02

As a GT-S owner...if that shifter were going in...I would buy an aftermarket shifter. However, I doubt that that shifter is going into the elise.

So it's alllll speculation.

Ask zvezdah...he's driven the US prototype.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts