The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 05 Elise last night, and it will be shipped out of the US some time next week. I've been calling various places to try and insure it while it's still here (this would allow me to drive it to the port in NJ, as well as enjoy it for a few days) but most providers want to offer only a 6-month minimum policy. I guess I'm looking for a policy for 1-2 weeks at most.

I searched the forum but couldn't find any tips about short-term insurance. I just emailed one contact recently posted on the forums, who offers track insurance (which I don't need, but maybe he can do other special needs) so I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Can anyone point me to any short-term insruance providers? The car would be insured in Maryland.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would try calling Hagerty and K&K Insurance.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I bought an 05 Elise last night, and it will be shipped out of the US some time next week. I've been calling various places to try and insure it while it's still here (this would allow me to drive it to the port in NJ, as well as enjoy it for a few days) but most providers want to offer only a 6-month minimum policy. I guess I'm looking for a policy for 1-2 weeks at most.

I searched the forum but couldn't find any tips about short-term insurance. I just emailed one contact recently posted on the forums, who offers track insurance (which I don't need, but maybe he can do other special needs) so I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Can anyone point me to any short-term insruance providers? The car would be insured in Maryland.

Thanks,
Justin
Any of those policies will be at least 6 months; the ones Randy mentioned will be a year. Basically, what you need to do is get one of the six month policies and then cancel it once the vehicle is out of the country. Problem solved. As long as there's no minimum earned premium, worst case, you'll incur a short-rate cancellation penalty.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Any policy I've dealt with would refund once the policy was cancelled.
Allstate (I'm with them now) actually let me insure my Lotus on the days I wanted it covered and didn't charge for the entire premium. You may want to try them if offered in your area, but thinking you'll get your $'s back anyways once the car leaves the U.S. and you cancel.

Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're actually covered via your other policy while you transport the car home. Its not the car itself that is insured. Its the actual driver that carries the insurance. That is why if you wreck someone else's car, then it comes off of your policy. I wouldn't recommend doing that for any period of time, but at least to transport it home. My comments aren't just null and void. I was told this information by an insurance agent that I trust.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're actually covered via your other policy while you transport the car home. Its not the car itself that is insured. Its the actual driver that carries the insurance. That is why if you wreck someone else's car, then it comes off of your policy. I wouldn't recommend doing that for any period of time, but at least to transport it home. My comments aren't just null and void. I was told this information by an insurance agent that I trust.
I don't personally have auto insurance in the US, as I don't live there. I don't believe my policy abroad covers me when I'm outside the EU.

Anyway, I solved the problem. I got a 6-month policy from Progressive which is paid on a monthly basis. I can cancel any time and I'm out at maximum 1 month of premiums.

In case anyone else tries this, one tip is that you can't complete the entire process online as it doesn't like the Lotus VIN. However, if you call, then an agent can complete the rest of the process for you, and it was very efficient in my experience.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
In the immortal words of Lee Corso, 'Not so fast, my friend!'. Coverage will depend on the policy territory; once the vehicle is out of the policy territory, it is also out of coverage. Most companies will limit that to the US and Canada; some will include portions of Mexico.

The cargo policy of the shipping company would pay for damage in transit; when coverage starts should be disclosed prior to taking custody of the vehicle. This was told to me by an insurance agent that I'd trust with my life - me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts