The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As the construction of the shifter is pretty similar in the 111R/Fed-Elise compared to the Speedster/VX220 I guess the same applies.

On both cars the cables are attached above the pivot point of the gear lever, so ithere's not much you can do there. (shortening the lever would actually *increase* the throw)

This was not the case on the rover-powered cars where one of the cables is below the pivot, so you can change the throw by adjusting the height ratio above and below the pivot point.

In the case of the Speedster/VX220 (and I guess the toyota powered cars too) a short-shift kit is fitted on the gearbox end and not a replacement shifter.

Usually it replaces a lever on the gearbox with a shorter version, resulting in a similar reduction in shift-throw.

I don't know the 'yota gearbox connection, but that's where I would look for an answer..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well there are 2 ways....shorter lever for shorter throw, or different linkage.....
i know i touched on this awhile ago when stan painted his center console and took pics....

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Wouldn't the presence of the lift for reverse gear make short shift kits harder to fit?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I would be interested in this. After driving my Audi TT (stock shifter) this weekend (didn't drive it for 2 mos) I really think the Elise could benefit from a short shift kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.