The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts and why?
Personally I am not totally decided. I will say that the drugs and methods are MUCH safer today than they were back in the 70s.
When I was a kid, I remember rumors that certain players (baseball) used amphetimines to sharpen themselves for games. Is that "cheating?"
If an athlete has a headache is taking aspirin cheating, or should he ride with the headache? Afterall, aspirin dilates the arteries which carries more blood and oxygen to the muscles. Advantage? Cortisone shots. Cheating? Doesnt it allow an athlete to keep performing when he or she otherwise couldnt?
Is doping just the next stage, an evolution if you will.....
Expand.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Absolutely not, doping should not be legal. Problem is there is a gray area that needs to be resolved. Problem is so much money is at stake folks will do anything for an advantage and cheating *always* going to be factor in the sport. Where there's money, there's cheating. No way around it. Ultimately it has become a ruthless sport, competitively and legally.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely not, doping should not be legal. Problem is there is a gray area that needs to be resolved. Problem is so much money is at stake folks will do anything for an advantage and cheating *always* going to be factor in the sport. Where there's money, there's cheating. No way around it. Ultimately it has become a ruthless sport, competitively and legally.
Ill play devils advocate and say well if doping was legal, where is the cheating? Wouldnt everyone then be on the same page and the risk of the very good "cheaters" would be gone. As you know, the good cheaters are on the cutting edge as far as doping so as not to get caught. We could take all that out of the equation.
But the question remains.......Why is doping illegal?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think it should absolutely be legal!!! I would be much more inclined to watch sports if they could dope. Would make the games much more entertaining!!!

But I also think bionic limbs would be amazing for increasing what we are capable of.... To each his own.

THink of drugs like swapping out your graphics card, cpu, or engine, for something more potent, with more power.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Since most successful professional athletes begin differentiating themselves during adolescence, making doping legal would certainly encourage younger athletes to dope.

Not that this doesn't happen now (especially with steroids), but it may encourage much wider spread use of performance enhancing drugs in the hands of people that *don't* have the knowledge to use them "safely".

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Since most successful professional athletes begin differentiating themselves during adolescence, making doping legal would certainly encourage younger athletes to dope.

Not that this doesn't happen now (especially with steroids), but it may encourage much wider spread use of performance enhancing drugs in the hands of people that *don't* have the knowledge to use them "safely".
This is true, but you already have coaches pushing the stuff. Back in Highschool our baseball coach had our pitchers on Adderal to focus on the mitt, and the football coach had players on HGH.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is true, but you already have coaches pushing the stuff. Back in Highschool our baseball coach had our pitchers on Adderal to focus on the mitt, and the football coach had players on HGH.
Wouldnt it be safer if it was prescibed, administered, and supervised by a doctor?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think thats terrible that he would put them on adderal to focus on the mitt. Thats stupid and unnecessary.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I think it should be like Autocrossing.

Different classes based on nature and level of mods...er....doping.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Could you imagine hardcore mass doping?

'....and Adam Dunn's home run traveled 784 feet'.

Reminds me of that SNL sketch 'All Steroid Olympics' where the Russian powerlifters arms fall off

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
you would first have to define doping, before you can say if its legal or not.

"doping" IS currently legal. in a black and white sense - many type of performance enhancers are completely legal in every sport and are regularly used.

its kinda like beer in UT...

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you would first have to define doping, before you can say if its legal or not.

"doping" IS currently legal. in a black and white sense - many type of performance enhancers are completely legal in every sport and are regularly used.

its kinda like beer in UT...
That is a vague term.....
I guess its open to interpretation.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could you imagine hardcore mass doping?

'....and Adam Dunn's home run traveled 784 feet'.

Reminds me of that SNL sketch 'All Steroid Olympics' where the Russian powerlifters arms fall off

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
They did hardcore doping. I dont think more advanced, better quality steroids existed than what folks like Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, and probably Sammy Sosa were doing at the time.
Still the furthest home run Ive ever seen was when Kingman hit one 3 houses down across the street from Waveland Avenue.
He didnt need to juice up. Hmmmm, might have helped his average though.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Though I am torn on the issue, I miss the days when baseball managers actually managed. I miss the 3-2 games, the 5-3 games when leadoff hitters were so important especially when they could steal bases, or when your number 2 hitter could shoot the ball to the right side to advance a runner.
Remember the bunt? Hit and run?
Now it seems the only managing they do is when to take a pitcher out, other than that just sit back and wait for the 3 run homer.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
That is a vague term.....
I guess its open to interpretation.
it is extremely vague and the 'legal' definition is always changing over time.

steroids were legal, cocaine on and off depending on the sport and time, amphetamines are pretty much the consistently 'banned' substance in modern times. NSAID are very much legal today. alcohol was very much illegal and more than one athlete has been stripped of medals for using it...

the point is - you can't begin to have this conversation without defining what it is. and defining it, is a lot more difficult to do than you might think...

do you say "any synthetic drug that boost performance is illegal" so you are going to make nsaid illegal, but cocaine legal?

so you revise that to say, well... if its natural but a "drug" its illegal. but if its over the counter drug it legal? man, now you are in a deep hole!

or - is it the "effect" and not the "means" that is doping? i can take anyone here - test your red blood count and oxygen capacity, and i can GREATLY increase it through unnatural means with using all natural substances (and this is legal btw) or - i can use unnatural substances and get the exact same results (this is illegal) or i can bank your own natural blood and reach the same results (this is illegal now) so is it the result? the substances used? or the means used? these are all very different. ...and here we are only talking about blood oxygen capacity, we haven't even gotten into stimulants, anti-inflamatories, pain relievers, muscle growth, cellular biology of energy production and oxygen absorption, and on and on and on the list goes... and the list is changing all the time.

and then, you have to decide is that definition and rule the same across all sports? steroids were very much legal in MLB - up until jest a few years ago (keep in mind - the contrast in how strict cycling was in early 2000, and how MLB still allowed steroids/hgh) , baseball has a long history of steroid use. football/NFL is probably even higher. swimming has very poor testing on anything except steroids - so they basically allow blood oxygen doping today. basketball is basically the same - testing is so limited, it allows all but the most idiotic to use most any doping they want.

and NFL gets tested once a year for steroids, and its scheduled - that a joke and is a way of saying "its legal" an average pro cyclist in a year would get tested about 20 times... including out of season, and including "home raid" tests

1 - 20 of 33 Posts