The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, excuse my ignorance... should I be concerned with this little bit of residue? There were no visible "wet" drips or anything. engine has approximately 126k miles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Replace the valve cover gasket. You can pick them up from advance or any parts store. I don't think that's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the valve cover gasket. You can pick them up from advance or any parts store. I don't think that's anything to worry about.
Thank you! Is there a specific torque for the valve cover bolts? I don't Want to overtighten them if I do this myself.

·
Registered
394 Posts
7 ft-lb. I use a 1/4 wrench and do a criss cross pattern from the inside going out then go around one more time all around to confirm since a new gasket will squeeze down a bit. Don't forget the RTV on the two spots where the valve cover meets the chain cover. 7 ft-lb is not much so I would warn against a Tq wrench as you can snap a bolt easily, but ymmv.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe this would be a good opportunity to check the cams. I don't really mess around with engines so this would a first for me to crack this open. Makes me a bit nervous tbo.

·
Drone Racing Pilot
87 Posts
I don't believe that is oil residue. To me it looks more like exhaust leak residue, I would check the exhaust gasket and bolts to make sure there are no blow outs on the gasket or issues with the EGR stuff. If you could remove the top heat shield to reveal the exhaust manifold bolts you may see you have a slight exhaust leak.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Drone Racing Pilot
87 Posts
I am not sure how bad the leak is, or what the car sounds like in person. But a oil leak would be wet, collect more dirt/grime, possibly not travel up the cover, and cover anything below the leak in the same oily dirty build up. A photo of the other side might tell more. To me that looks more like soot than oil.

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
Just clean it up well and keep an eye on it. Mine had same and hasn't leaked it was just minor seepage over time. Maybe check torque of cover bolts. If you look very closely you can see a faint oil line below the area of heavier contamination. Clean and watch would allow you to check for gasket or exhaust leak.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,183 Posts
When they reinstalled the cover they prolly didn’t use sealant on the timing cover to head joint. Prolly where your leak is coming from. Just pop the cover off. And clean it up. Dab some RTV on both those spots where the cover meets, and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
714 Posts
I am not sure how bad the leak is, or what the car sounds like in person. But a oil leak would be wet, collect more dirt/grime, possibly not travel up the cover, and cover anything below the leak in the same oily dirty build up. A photo of the other side might tell more. To me that looks more like soot than oil.
That is not an exhaust leak.An exhaust leak would not go around the side.Very slow oil leaks look exactly like this.

Reactions: GDBB

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,183 Posts
If you look at the seam you can see a blob of RTV where it’s suppose to be. Is suspect it’s just past it’s prime. Just do yourself a favor and yank the cover, clean the surfaces, check your cams while in their, and if all good, apply RTV in both the required spots and re install the cover. You’re talking an hour tops worth of work, and one of the more simple things to do on the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts