The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and was just looking for a little advice on buying a 2005 Elise with an aftermarket turbodyne turbo set up. Apparently it was all professionally installed at the original dealership where the car was purchased. I was just wondering if there are any known Issues with aftermarket turbos on an Elise. I've had turbo cars before and know of the problems associated with modifying. The car has 25,000 miles on it. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow, where it was done and ask them to look that up. Its been a few years. Hopefully they still have the records.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought a turbocharged '05 Elise several months ago. This weekend I returned the car to stock. If I had it to do again, I would have bought a bone stock or supercharged car to start with. There are always cars available.
These cars are finicky when turbos are involved. There are some excellent kits out there, but then others make your engine blow up. Research thoroughly, consider your use and expectations for cost and reliability.
The turbos can be a lot of fun, but many will require "hands on" ownership.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I run a 2005 with a force fed turbo. I would do alot of research before getting one. there are kits that are well sorted out and ones that are a mess.
The ones that are a mess will cost alot of money to fix later. I have not heard of a turbodyne turbo.

If you buy it I would say you need to have some mechanical skills unless you have a good source close by that can work on it. example; DRS or BOE.

I recommend a compression check on the motor. a cheap test that could a save alot of money.

Ed

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
If it's a Hass turbo.........RUN FAST in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the thing. The guy that owns it is not mechanical at all. So that worries me. Plus If you search turbodyne on Google, all I can find is information about electric turbos.. Scary. Then again, I've not heard good or bad about a turbo running off an electric motor as opposed to a traditional turbo. Doesn't sound reliable to me. Still working on getting info. The dealership that the work was supposedly done at was bought out and has no records of the install. It's a beautiful car, and I love forced induction, but I think I'm starting to steer towards a bone stock that I know won't let me down..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Electric turbos basically don't work. You can't pull the needed power from the charging system to actually pump enough air to actually make them work. They are a joke - a fan in the intake tract.

If it's a real mechanical turbo then you will need to do LOTS of research on it as previously stated. There are kits that are generally well done, well maintained, and sorted out... but honestly there are far more kits out there which are problematic.

My honest opinion is unless you really feel like taking a risk and/or don't mind working on your car a lot and are particularly mechanically inclined, I would just avoid the car all-together. Try not to get emotionally attached to that car. There are others out there, and in the end I'm sure you will be much happier knowing you avoided a potential basket case.

Edit: Just did a quick search online and it looks like PowerDyne is a cheapy centrifugal supercharger. If it really was a powerdyne I would be more than scared for a few reasons:
1) Its not a proven kit and everything I read looks like they are a cheap, knock off alternative to the more standard name-brand procharger/vortech/paxton/etc.
2) Powerdyne seems to have a bad rep from the few people that have used them
3) The compressor is only PART of the kit. The tuning is one of the bigger issues people run into and I can only help but think that anyone that uses a knock-off supercharger isn't going to have anything good for engine management / tuning on their car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you want to play with it, that's cool. Try to assess the condition of the engine and what parts are need to go back to stock or a proven power kit. And unless the seller has knowledge, documentation, a very clean running car, and a proven system, the turbo deducts from the value rather than adding to it.
Just my 2 cents having spent the weekend plugging holes with hundred dollar bills in my ex-hass turbo.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I also have a turbo'd elise. And while I've been having fun getting it stup the way I want, I think if I had to do it over I don't know if I would. I'm almost 10k more into the car just from getting stuff straightened out that wasn't done right the first time around.

So if you have to have it, at least set aside some money (possibly a lot of money) to "fix" it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've been reading, It seems like supercharged is the way to go on the Elise. Does anyone know where a good place besides Autotrader is to find an Elise?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also have a turbo'd elise. And while I've been having fun getting it stup the way I want, I think if I had to do it over I don't know if I would. I'm almost 10k more into the car just from getting stuff straightened out that wasn't done right the first time around.

So if you have to have it, at least set aside some money (possibly a lot of money) to "fix" it.
I know what you mean. I had a 3000GT VR4 with pretty much everything upgraded and had so many little issues with dumb stuff it just wasn't worth it anymore. That's what I want to avoid at this point.

·
Registered
689 Posts
There are used Elises on here that come for sale at various times in the year. Find one that the owner knows a lot about it's quirks and how it has been maintained or not maintained. It is a Toyota engine but some people still can abuse a car to it's death. You still have to tell us if you are going to use it for a track car, weekend grocery and scenic tour goer or a daily driver. It all makes a alot of difference. They are not complicated but have issues such as the oil cooler lines that are recalled and have failed. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
From what I've been reading, It seems like supercharged is the way to go on the Elise. Does anyone know where a good place besides Autotrader is to find an Elise?
Try the Lotus for sale board here. If you want something particular post a wanted ad. And don't be afraid to travel. Cars.com and ebay also have decent traffic. ebay seems to get many dealerships.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be on the prowl for one. From what I hear everyone loves driving the Elise. I really want to find a car that is fun to drive and can be a daily driver if I so desire. Really want to keep myself out of trouble as far as repairs go.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
My suggestions to a potential buyer are always the same:
1. don't limit your search locally. I did at first and eventually looked nationally. I got the car I wanted with the features I wanted in the color I wanted PLUS over $30,000.00 in upgrades for the same price as a higher mileage Elise locally.
2. If there are upgrades make sure they were performed by a reputable dealer.
3. Spend $200.00 to 300.00 to have the vehicle inspected by a dealer.

You can find some amazing cars out there. Take your time. Get it inspected. And be extremely happy with what you end up buying. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My suggestions to a potential buyer are always the same:
1. don't limit your search locally. I did at first and eventually looked nationally. I got the car I wanted with the features I wanted in the color I wanted PLUS over $30,000.00 in upgrades for the same price as a higher mileage Elise locally.
2. If there are upgrades make sure they were performed by a reputable dealer.
3. Spend $200.00 to 300.00 to have the vehicle inspected by a dealer.

You can find some amazing cars out there. Take your time. Get it inspected. And be extremely happy with what you end up buying. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate the advice. I've already been searching from coast to coast. So now I just have to wait for the love of my life to come along. haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts