The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new and have been reading up a bit on the site. I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm in the market for a new car, but don't know what to get.

To make a long story short; I will either get a Maserati Granturismo along with a Lotus Elise SC for those fun days. Or I will go all out and get the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560 spyder.

My major concern is the cost of maintenance. The maserati is expensive but not as expensive as the Lambo. I have no idea what maintenance is on the Lotus. But in either case, I'm not mechanically inclined, so the service center will be doing everything.

The other issue is this. I love Maserati and would love to get the Maser as well as the Lambo, but I think that's a bit much. The Elise was soooo fun to drive around town (I live in Vegas) and can see myself driving it daily for errands etc. as well as the occasional track days for fun. The Lambo... Well it's a Lamborghini! For some reason I don't think I'll be tracking the Lambo. Awesome power, comfort, and looks.

So any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
that's a nice problem to have.

i say Elise SC and an BMW m6.

the Maserati Granturismo is a beautiful looking car, but if cost of maintenance is a concern. my advice would be to stay away from the Maserati.

(then again, i'm don't have any personal experience regarding Maserati. that comment is only based on what i've heard and read.)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The maintenance cost on the Elise is negligible. New tires and oil changes are about it and they're cheap.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think the combination of an Elise for fun driving and a Maserati GT for everyday driving is about the best combo I can think of right now.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I will either get a Maserati Granturismo along with a Lotus Elise SC for those fun days. Or I will go all out and get the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560 spyder.
My major concern is the cost of maintenance.
So any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
You're cosidering to get the Mazerati/Elise SC (~$120K+$55K) or Lambo 560 (~$220K) and you're concerned about cost of maintenance?:shrug:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would settle on a cl63 and elise... Mercedes are easy and cheap enough to service and always comfy. ELise for pure fun.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I would do Elise and Mas. QP or Aston Martin DB9.
The Elise will be your exclusive sports car, and the Mas/AM will be luxury.

Lambo. is just bling, and impractical IMO

·
Registered
582 Posts
Money wise, Maserati could be a totally mental decision. Get a F-car.

or actually order a amg black series, exclusiveness galore.
Just saw a sl black series ~220k

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would settle on a cl63 and elise... Mercedes are easy and cheap enough to service and always comfy. ELise for pure fun.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Don't do it! I just traded my CL600 in on an '07 Elise because of a $12,000 repair bill, and the brakes were the only thing I could have done myself, but it being my daily driver I didn't have the extra time to play around with Mercedes retarded setup.
In all honesty, I would go for the 560. The Elise is pretty fun to drive and the GT is pretty sweet as well, but the 560 really has so much more to offer than the Elise. That's just my two cents, anyway.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The only Lambo I would consider would be a Muira. The modern Lambos, as beautiful as they are, just strike me as being a poseur douchemobile. They often struck Enzo the same way.

Just buy a Lotus and live with it for about two weeks. The Elise/Exige has a very specific appeal. If it is the sort of car for you (and you will have an unambiguous opinion of that in two weeks, I ASSURE you), then your opinion of all the others will be changed. You may find the extra mass of the Lambo (or any other exotic for that matter) completely superfluous. If you're sporting nature is pure you will find the pedestrian origins of the Lotus mill completely inconsequential to your enjoyment of the car.

As for the Maserati; I have a friend and we both run '05 Elises and'66 Jaguar E-types. He also has an '06 Maserati GranSport and has blown the clutch at less than 30k miles - there have been countless other lesser issues as well. I never understood the Maserati appeal - the styling is bland and the performance:$ ratio is a bit out of whack, especially with the new GranTurismo model (although it is a huge step up in the styling dept). Having said that, going for an F430 as others have suggested, you're looking at a true maintenance whore. Perhaps an AM Vantage would make sense - Exotic, relatively straightforward from a maintenance perspective, CHEAP in exotic car terms, indisputably beautiful.

Whatever you do, at LEAST arrange a serious and extensive demonstration session in the Lotus. Make sure you get to experience the second cam switchover at WOT. It is a car of very specific appeal and will make up your mind for you, no doubt.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I would say get the LP560, but in addition get an Elise and supercharge it yourself. It's not the simplest solution, but it's not ridiculously expensive since used Elises range from $25k-$35k and SC solutions are around $4k. A new one is in the 40s. Much cheaper than going Maser + Lambo, but more costly than going Maser + Elise.

This way you can have the absolute best of both worlds :) And isn't Vegas about showing off? Who shows off in a Maserati? :D

As for maintenance, check out any Lambo forum. Gallardos are rock solid and are ever-reliable. You might want to budget for a clutch replacement just in case, but other than that I would not worry. ROCK SOLID!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to answer a question with a question but -

Have you driven all three?
Yes I have driven all three. I loved the maserati as a grand tourer. Sexy, comfortable, can fit 4 adults. I loved the Elise SC as a fun car around town. And the Lambo was just ridiculous. Gorgeous and flies like a rocket. But the Lambo is... a "serious" car. Unlike the Elise, where I can just hop in and drive to the store. Also I can "beat up" the Elise more so than a 273K Lambo. But I won't have AC problems, and parts falling off in the Lambo.

And yes I understand that maintenance should not be an issue, financial wise, which it isn't. But I just don't want to shell out boat loads more consistently for maintenance.

Perhaps I am answering my own question. It's just hard to turn down a Lamborghini I guess. 2 years ago I lost everything, house, cars. I even had to pawn my wedding ring. Dead broke... (Because of moral decisions I made to leave a business that was... immoral)

There are those who tell me to just get the Lambo. That I'm young and I can afford it, which is a blessing, believe me I know! But I'm just not sure.

I'm rambling too much. Anyone else have any opinions?

·
Registered
205 Posts
if you want a GT kinda car, the Astons have always been so dreamy looking, much better looking than the Maseratis.

get the Lotus, naturally.

but what about one of those new Audi R8 V10 thingys? aren't they coming out here on the US? it would be super-nifty if they put the screaming diesel in it like the R10 racer. that probably won't happen though. :sad:

aren't the R8's supposed to be pretty decent? although i am a bit partial to Audis.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts