The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get people's opinion on whether I should daily drive my 2011 Evora (new to me since December, bought with ~ 9,000 miles on it). Originally when I bought it I was planning on driving it only on nice days (since I sometimes read on here about people never driving their car in the rain) and keeping my old 2002 Honda Civic to drive in bad weather days. However, now my civic is having some mechanical problems and I'm debating whether to get rid of it and just go 100% with the Evora. It's a lot of fun driving the Evora but I don't want to end up with a trashed car in a few years.

Here's my situation:

1. Commuting to work is about 4,000 miles a year. There is a parking lot at work but it isn't covered (I park on the top floor) so the car is exposed to the weather. Little risk of theft or damage and there are some other nice cars parked there (Porsches, Telsas). I use a sun shade whenever I park it there, even on cloudy days. Other mileage would come maybe another 3,000 miles for a total of maybe 7,000 miles a year. At home it's kept in a garage.
2. I've driven it the the rain before (wanted to try it out when I first got it and there were mostly rainy days then) and no problems with any leaks. I'm in Oregon so it rains maybe 50% of the time. We only get snow maybe 5 days per year and for those days I'd take an uber.

I'm leaning towards trying daily driving it, but my wife says I should buy another car to replace the Honda instead.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
There are plenty of owners who daily their Evoras without issue, including in rainy areas. So, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'm sure they will chime in to reinforce that there is no major problems.

With that said, I've never driven mine in the rain. :D Not because I worry about issues while doing so. But because I have other vehicles, so there is absolutely no reason for me to.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
They put windshield wipers on them for a reason
I would hesitate to have it as my only car, oh wait I am lying, From 02-04 I owned nothing but Lotuses, and drove my M100 year round.
But mostly I have a more normal backup,

Whenever I see 'never in rain' I say to myself, I wonder how they wash it if it cannot get wet............

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is going to one car for you for monetary reasons or convenience reasons? If you have the funds, responsibly, and the space, it is nice to have another vehicle to drive another couple to dinner, it makes the weekend car a more special experience, etc.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
... can you daily it? yes. should you daily it? that's up to you... I mean, it's a toyota v6 so the reliability and some fuel economy is there as I'm sure you know. if you enjoy driving it, why not daily it? nothing says that you can't pick up another beater daily down the road if you want.

as for myself, my goal is that any car i own, I should be able to daily drive it - and i will daily drive them... my exige, my rx7, previous rx7... the only one that breaks that is the miata kart i've had for a while now, it's just a little too windy and cold in the winter (something that annoys me that I can't drive it year round..i'm not that brave!)

why not daily the evora? show off the fun car!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I drive mine everywhere around town but do consider the fiscal side of things. It's a 40 mile round trip to my Planet Fitness gym so I figure that's an extra $40- per visit (depreciation) to my $10/month gym. I'll give the Mercedes equal time.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Ah but is the depreciation worse on the Mercedes....Lotuses of recent vintage do not depreciate as badly as most 'regular' cars, they are still at ~50 percent of MSRP after 10 years, so the additional deprecation may not be as bad.

Hey look, IO am driving my Lotus and saving money!

That's what I am gong with

I drive mine everywhere around town but do consider the fiscal side of things. It's a 40 mile round trip to my Planet Fitness gym so I figure that's an extra $40- per visit (depreciation) to my $10/month gym. I'll give the Mercedes equal time.

·
Loves to talk
1,102 Posts
... can you daily it? yes. should you daily it? that's up to you... I mean, it's a toyota v6 so the reliability and some fuel economy is there as I'm sure you know. if you enjoy driving it, why not daily it? nothing says that you can't pick up another beater daily down the road if you want.

as for myself, my goal is that any car i own, I should be able to daily drive it ..................
This is my attitude. I don't want a car that can't get caught out in weather but that doesn't mean I drive my prize when it makes more sense to use something less cherished when the moment demands. I don't maintain the paint and interior of my daily to the same standards I impose on my Evora. I garage the Evora, not the daily. I hand wash the Evora, not the daily. I'm just a lot more careful and protective of my Lotus than I am of my GTI.

I could of course daily it and there is no question that driving the Evora is more pleasurable than driving my VWs, rain or shine. If that pleasure is greater to you than the costs of routine daily wear and tear, or if you can only have one car but want it to be special, you can and should daily it.

It was never my plan to daily the car, but I would not have purchased it if I thought I couldn't use it on any given day. If I owned a newer McLaren, a Lamborghini or perhaps even a Porsche GT3, I'd treat them the same as I do the Lotus, a car that has equal emotional value and impact (even if only to me) as any other top of the line specialty car I might own. My 400 is the most satisfying and special car I've possessed to date and I treat it accordingly.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Just drive it! Why save it for someone else??? Its a depreciating asset.

Reactions: kenhicks

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Going to take the SNOW TIRES off in a few days......... I found that driving and parking in the rain will NOT cause it to shrink anymore than it has. As I understand it, a parked vehicle will disintegrate faster than one that is used. Being a C survivor, you never know what tomorrow holds, enjoy it while you can!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Daily the Evora, at least through the summer. This fall you can reevaluate if you want a foul weather car.

BTW, what is wrong with the Honda? A 2002 Civic should be a 200,000 to 400,000 mile car with reasonable maintenance.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Your situation sounds similar to mine and I also live in the PNW; Seattle area. I work from home but do make a trip into the office once a week, do basic store runs and various errands. Ya know daily driver stuff :) I put maybe 7-8k miles a year on it with a lot of those miles being trips in the summer to eastern WA. With the right set of tires, I have driven her year round, even in light snow. Didn't seem to phase it.

The Evora was my daily driver up until last summer when I bought a new truck for daily duties and hauling. My wife started to do a lot of local travel for work taking our MDX along with her. That made it a hassle getting kids to sports events/practices etc with all the gear. For me it was easier getting another vehicle but if it is mainly you daily'ing the car....I see no issue.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
I daily mine, its really up to you. the biggest concern I have when it comes to driving around is that when something breaks will I have a spare part for it...

it took 6 months to get my car back after it was rear ended and parts were replaced with current production lotus parts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I daily drive it unless weather is really crappy. 55,000 miles now and all is well. It does show a bit with a pitted windshield but that's about it. I love to drive it so enjoy my peaceful commute.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I haven't read all of the comments but I can answer your question with an absolute YES

I have daily driven my 2014 Lotus Evora S for the past 3 years. I have put on about 11-12k miles a year on it. This is MY ONLY car. It honestly has been very reliable as a daily driver. I'll list out the issues I've had and has made it difficult at times since I didn't have any other cars.

What I went through
Traction control light coming on as well as my entire dash losing power
- Turned out to be a faulty steering angle sensor
- Took like a week to figure out
Clutch Master Cylinder - wet out twice (second time I replaced it with aftermarket)
-no issues since then
-had to be towed both times to the dealer and lost days

normal wear and tear, and/or niggles
Tires - this thing eats up tires on the street (bad if you are on a budget)
Oil changes
- do this myself
Flat tires
- multiple times since the tires are softer and Houston roads suck big D
- again, no spare so have to be towed.. such a pain
TPMS light
- Houston weather is bi-polar so this is annoying as hell. My pressure goes from reading 29-37 in matter of my trip to work

Other than that, I cant think of anything else that has gone wrong or issues or anything out of the ordinary.

Again, I have used this as my normal car and go grocery shopping in it every week, Have gone camping with my Son with everything packed in it more times than I can count. Taken my son who is 10 and his friends everywhere. Same with my Daughter who is 13. Have taken it with the entire family of 4 on dinners, movies, you name it.

Yes, the car is tight on space, yes its a pain to get in and out when you drive it daily, yes its a pain to make sure you dont scrape it. BUT overall, the smile it brings to your face every time you get in and drive it is absolutely worth every issue, niggle, pain it causes.

Oh and I forgot to add, I have ceramic coating on the car as well as the windshield so that helps with temps inside the car for the dash. I have yet (knock on wood) to get people messing with my car even in grocery parking lots where the space is super limited. I have watched people around me be very very very careful as to not ding my car. I dont look for a spot that is way out there or take up 2 spots. I park normal just like eveyone else at the spot closest ot the front door of the store. lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts