The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here. I didn't even know about this site. It looks terrific, and you guys seem like a great bunch.

So, here's my story and questions. I owned an '06 "Sport" Elise for a while. I had bought it brand new. If I recall correctly, they made maybe 50 of 'em, and each one was numbered... just another promo, maybe. The Sport Elise had a Track Pack, regular Sport Pack, and Lotus Sport Pack. Beautiful car, but that limited model seemed to be targeted more for track use, the suspension was sooooooo stiff and brutal that it eventually became too punishing to drive it.

I originally had gone to the dealership to purchase an Elise with the "touring" package, but the sales guy convinced me that the Sport Elise was the way to go, and assured me that the drive was the same as the one I had test driven, but with better handling. Nothing was said about the brutal suspension. I trusted him and bought the car. Soon, however, my little dream car became more of a nightmare, and I couldn't take the punishing drive anymore.

So, I got rid of the Elise and bought a Porsche Carrera S. Since then, I have just added a new '08 BMW 135i convertible to the mix. The 1er's twin-turbo is ferocious, and the car is tons of fun.

But... now I'm still itching for that Lotus I never really got to enjoy!! Now that I've got the civilized fun in the form of a BMW 135i, I am considering dumping the Porsche and getting the (normal) Lotus Elise I got cheated out of.

Now that they've added a supercharger to the Elise, I am more interested than ever! I think I'd probably just love an Elise SC with the "touring" package.

So, I have three questions...

1. Do you think it makes sense to dump a Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet for a Lotus Elise SC? (Especially since I've got the BMW 135i.)

2. Does it make any sense to wait for the '09?

3. What changes will the '09 offer? I ask because I have noticed that there are usually little changes on the Elise from one model year to the next, and I was wondering what those might be for '09.

Anyway, thanks gentlemen for any advice you might offer. Much appreciated. :cool:

TM

·
Registered
429 Posts
Uhhh, as the current owner of both (but not a cab) I would have to say, not only no but hell no.

Todd :wave:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Here's what I think:

Go for a test drive! And don't buy a car that isn't the one you test drove. =)

I have sport pack on my 72D (yet another limited edition) and I don't find the ride that brutal at all even though I daily drive it. There are some roads that feel too bumpy, but I tend to avoid them.

You should definitely go to the dealership and try a SC Elise.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Stating the obvious, there will be a change in price in 2009. If handling isn't at the top of your list why bother? If you feel the pull to see what you missed get one and enjoy it as an experience. If you didn't adjust the suspension on your Sport Elise it doesn't sound like your into the obsesssion with precision handling, sort of the point of an Elise. I don't want to sound negative, but you wanted an assessment of the possible reasons to get another Lotus. Handling is number one. They do look cool, though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was a Carrera owner a few years ago and enjoy my 066 Exige much more. It's not nearly as luxurious but the fun factor is 10x the Porsche.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
the touring pack will have no affect on the ride... the track pack is what has the adjustable suspension that you can soften up a bit... but if you are looking for a "touring suspension"*queue tim* there is no such thing:popcorn: sounds like you should hold out for en eagle tho... its more of a tourer

·
Registered
199 Posts
Keep the porsche. Once I get my Ferrari my lotus will be history :)

I would take the lotus over a Boxter or Cayman, but not carerra....

Q

·
0 Posts
I have a Carrera S Coupe and an Exige S. Both are different beasts.

The Exige S is harsh, uncomfortable, hot in the summer and handles like nothing else.

The Carrera S has got plenty of power, can be just as harsh when I press the Sport button and activate the PSM, but is comfortable, a bit roomier, has good A/C, better sound system, and more comfortable seats.

If I spend a few days driving the Carrera, the Exige feels all loose, sloppy shifter, light clitch, and quirky handling... and when I switch from the Exige S to the 911... the 911 feels like a heavy pug, but is quiet and comfy.

Switching from one to the other reminds me why I enjoy both

IF I had to choose one as a regular car, the Carrera would stay. If I had to pick a track car, I'd boot the 911.

That said, I still drive both.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you have to choose, choose the one that makes you smile the most when you look in the gauge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stating the obvious, there will be a change in price in 2009. If handling isn't at the top of your list why bother? If you feel the pull to see what you missed get one and enjoy it as an experience. If you didn't adjust the suspension on your Sport Elise it doesn't sound like your into the obsesssion with precision handling, sort of the point of an Elise. I don't want to sound negative, but you wanted an assessment of the possible reasons to get another Lotus. Handling is number one. They do look cool, though.
Actually, handling IS what I liked about the Elise. The handling was awesome. Best of any car I've ever owned at any price, IMO, including a Ferrari of many years ago, and a number of Porsches. I was told later that the Elise models with the touring pack are much quieter and more forgiving, but can still offer the handling the car is famous for.

And let me just add that the Elise's handling is important enough to me to actually consider giving up a car as terrific as a Porsche 997.

I just want to be sure that the car doesn't have a brutal track suspension 100% of the time, so I can actually drive it around town or on the freeway now and then without getting punished.

A possible partial solution.

Nitron Sport PRO Suspension - Sector111 - Tasty Bits for the Elise and Exige

It's possible to adjust the "stiffness" to a more comfortable street level, or set up for a track experience. The softer settings do provide a much less abrupt reaction to road hazards like the bumps you had never even noticed in the Bimmer.
THAT's what I'm talking about. The best of both worlds! Thanks, BRTHTAKR.

TM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a Carrera S Coupe and an Exige S. Both are different beasts.

The Exige S is harsh, uncomfortable, hot in the summer and handles like nothing else.

The Carrera S has got plenty of power, can be just as harsh when I press the Sport button and activate the PSM, but is comfortable, a bit roomier, has good A/C, better sound system, and more comfortable seats.

If I spend a few days driving the Carrera, the Exige feels all loose, sloppy shifter, light clitch, and quirky handling... and when I switch from the Exige S to the 911... the 911 feels like a heavy pug, but is quiet and comfy.

Switching from one to the other reminds me why I enjoy both

IF I had to choose one as a regular car, the Carrera would stay. If I had to pick a track car, I'd boot the 911.

That said, I still drive both.
Your lucky and fortunate situation is a good one for me to consider. To be frank, I like the "normal" setting on the PASM better than the "sport" setting.

I'm thinking that maybe the 135i can be my DD, and the Elise the more serious handler for back roads or track use. That combination would kill the 911.

BTW, other than the price increase that was mentioned, does anyone know about any small feature improvements coming up on the '09?

TM

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I was told later that the Elise models with the touring pack are much quieter and more forgiving, but can still offer the handling the car is famous for.
TM
I think someone was fibbing... general consensus is that touring pack sound deadening has just about no effect... touring pack means leather seats/trim insulated softop, and a nicer stereo, but there is no effect on ride comfort at all, it is an interior pack only

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm not sure.
Look, I'm a SC owner with the sport pak, but reading between the lines of your postings, you probably need to stay a Porsche BMW owner.

My opinion is that the sport pak is not a harsh ride...maybe on a few wide expansion joints, but otherwise I would have to say that it's not harsh or jarring.

good luck with your decision.

remember, if you buy an apple, don't complain that it doesn't taste like an orange.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I can't tell any difference in ride quality between a non-Sport and Sport equipped Elise.

I have AO48's on my base-suspension Elise, and it feels just as stiff as any sport pack or track pack Elise/Exige I've driven or ridden in.

That said, it seems to me that tires can make a pretty big difference. If ride quality matters to you, get a softer sidewall tire like the RE-01R or something.

Then again, I don't think the ride is harsh in these cars. I think it's just right for a sports car.

I think you'd be better off with a Cayman S. It fits somewhere between your 911 and the Elise.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
To be frank, I like the "normal" setting on the PASM better than the "sport" setting.
Don't get an Elise then.

Seriously, the Cayman S would be more down your alley, is a lot more fun than a modern 911 (IMO), and is a very competent track day car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow... you guys are right there to answer. Awesome forum!

I see a lot of you guys are making references to the Sport Pack on the Elise, but the '06 model I briefly owned had a "TRACK pack", which may be an important variable here. In addition it had a "Lotus Sport" Sport Pack, on top of the regular Sport Pack. In other words there were THREE packs! Too confusing.

What does the TRACK Pack add to the car beyond the Sport Pack?

TM

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Keep the porsche. Once I get my Ferrari my lotus will be history :)

I would take the lotus over a Boxter or Cayman, but not carerra....

Why's that? The 911 isn't really all that superior to a Boxster or Cayman other than the engine.

I'm not sure.
Look, I'm a SC owner with the sport pak, but reading between the lines of your postings, you probably need to stay a Porsche BMW owner.

My opinion is that the sport pak is not a harsh ride...maybe on a few wide expansion joints, but otherwise I would have to say that it's not harsh or jarring.

good luck with your decision.

remember, if you buy an apple, don't complain that it doesn't taste like an orange.

I don't know where you live, but your location says "central US" which in many parts tends to be flatter, less crowded, and has better roads. The OP lives in California which is known for having some beaten down roads, being overly crowded, etc.

I'm generalizing, but that's just a thought.

MY RESPONSE TO OP: The BMW 135i will be good enough as a get-away from the Elise. No need for the Porsche.

A Porsche is a sports car that does everything really well. If you have only one sporty car or even just one car but want a sports car, you might get a Porsche.

If you have a 135i convertible and an Elise, you have the best of both worlds; the luxury and performance of a daily convertible, and the hardcore performance of an Elise. I don't think you'll regret it one bit.

As for the Elise being harsh, it's a price you pay to have such exhilarating performance. If you are not able to go find your favorite twisty back roads every so often or don't have access to such roads, the Elise might begin to expose its poor qualities as a road car.

Good luck... :shift:

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
The suspension and the tires can make a major difference in how jarring the car rides.

A change is always good to spice things up a bit. Get the Lotus and sell it when you are looking for another change.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you had the Sport Elise, you had an Ohlins adjustable suspension on it, but it sounds like the suspension was set pretty hard and never adjusted.

The sales guy wasn't lying. I had the base suspension and then switched to the ohlins.
On the softer settings the ride is just as comfortable as the base suspension.
On harder settings it is great for the track but harsh for street use.
IMO, the best of both worlds for an Elise.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts