The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never thought I'd consider this.... but am now looking at getting an Elise S1! Any thoughts on:

1) 'Trackability' of the car - given the original rover engine only has 118 horses. What can ECU/IHE add?

2) Maintanence & parts given the car is >10 years old, can we get parts easily?

3) daily driver... aircon works ok?

Appreciate your comments! :)

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I would suggest looking at some of the previous posts. Track car there is nothing like it in my opinion. Parts are easy to get and fairly cheap (except for clam damage) There is a thread on daily driving I suggest you read. I have read a lot of posts complaining about the ac. I have no issues at all with mine and there is also an easy upgrade to the ac system to make it better.

·
Registered
773 Posts
IMHO more fun to drive than S2, parts are no issue in US, even though only a few were imported as track only cars. mine doesn't have air con but by reputation worse than S2 which is only marginal in hot climates. If you don't have excellent mechanical skills, better find a good (and knowledgeable ) mechanic before considering a purchase. I love mine and would get rid of my S2 long before dumping the S1.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
You cannot get it legally registered in the US, at least as far as the feds are concerned, as a street car, so DD is not an issue. A handful of folks have fast talked their way past their state MVA...but if the feds find your your car is toast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elise s1

I actually couldn't find many posts about the s1! Will try again... Thanks for the comments really great to hear them! The car im looking at is a 2000 car and I am looking to track it... So will be doing research on power options etc as well!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I own an S2 and used to own a S111s in the UK. Car was hardcore, great car. The S2 slightly refined.

Only trouble with the S1 is the soft top a pain to put on/ off.

Get the right S1, maybe a few extras and yes, amazing car, pretty much same as the S2.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
I actually couldn't find many posts about the s1! Will try again... Thanks for the comments really great to hear them! The car im looking at is a 2000 car and I am looking to track it... So will be doing research on power options etc as well!
As has been mentioned there are only a handful of S1s in the US (which is the primary user base of this forum).

You need to head over to SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club which is the UK equivalent of LotusTalk.

In terms of A/C though none of the UK S1 Elises had it - it was an option on the Malaysian built cars (CKD kits from UK assembled in Malaysia). The S1 Exige had A/C as an option in the UK but it didn't get rave reviews even in that mild climate... not sure how well it works in the tropics...

The Rover engine is OK at power levels up to about 160hp and there are many people who can get it to that level. Beyond that it has a limited life expectancy and gets very costly... hence many people swapping it out for a Honda K20 or one of several engine swap options - see the SELOC techwiki Engine conversions - TechWiki

I'd have an S1 if I could have found one with A/C (I'm in Perth) but there is only one in Australia that I know of (ex-Singapore) so I have an S2 111S. Mine is completely standard at 156bhp and I haven't increased the power yet because the car is still more capable than I am :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S1

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm actually in Singapore and there are really only a few s1s here.... Great to hear that it would really be track-friendly! This one has AC, in Singapore.... Can't imagine life without it! But only thing is it still cost quite a bit.... Close to usd 50k for a 12 year old car! And I think that's reasonable! Also given the low number of cars here... I'm double checking that I can get good support to track it! Thanks again! Will post pics if I end up getting it!

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm actually in Singapore and there are really only a few s1s here.... Great to hear that it would really be track-friendly! This one has AC, in Singapore.... Can't imagine life without it! But only thing is it still cost quite a bit.... Close to usd 50k for a 12 year old car! And I think that's reasonable! Also given the low number of cars here... I'm double checking that I can get good support to track it! Thanks again! Will post pics if I end up getting it!
$50k is OK! That car would be $40k in Australia.

There is loads of good support for the S1 Elise too - Elise Parts and Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise sell all the parts you need. As far as doing the work it is a very simple car :)

Send me your email address by PM and I'll email you pdf versions of the complet service manual :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S1

I've bought stuff from eliseshop and eliseparts before!! man.. I cant believe i never said i had a 111R for 2 years!! great to hear that this would be more fun on the track! you guys are pushing me off the edge... need to get rid of my other car now!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts