The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure this is the best place to ask.

I am about to graduate college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I already have a job set up that pays around 62k/year. I live in Arkansas which has a very very low cost of living. I have played with the numbers (on how much it costs me for rent/food/leisure) and after trading in my current car plus the saved-up down payment that I have, affording a slightly used Exige should be manageable. This would not be my daily driver, and I would get a Kia or something to drive to work.

Basically what I am asking is do you recommend the lotus or should I go for something else? I have heard from multiple people that a lotus isn't a very practical daily driver, which is why i would opt for a second car. However, I have always dreamed of having a Lotus and would love to have one at a young age.

So to the older, my experienced users:

A. Buy the Lotus! You only live once.
B. Buy a decent used Mercedes or BMW. You need something more practical.
C. Keep the car you have and invest your money. You'll be thankful 20 years from now.
or
D. Buy that Gallardo that you've always dreamed of having and live in it. :)

Thanks!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
E. Get a used VW Golf TDI.....get twice the fuel mileage....sell it at an immense profit in 4 years.....get an 07 Exige with 6000 miles on it for 20K.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E. Get a used VW Golf TDI.....get twice the fuel mileage....sell it at an immense profit in 4 years.....get an 07 Exige with 6000 miles on it for 20K.
lol that is definitely a new one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Lotus are not like other sports cars. They are a true DRIVER'S car, they are not very rewarding to drive to the inexperienced.

Do you have previous sports car experience and want to take your driving fun to the next level?

Or are you just judging the car by its looks and reviews?

If this is your first REAL sports car (RWD) then you may want to start with something like a boxster or Z4. Those cars have features that are more forgiving for less experienced drivers and are comfortable, yet, provide a great driving experience as well.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Buying a Lotus should require having a second & practical car, but the Lotus will put a smile on your face every time you drive, really, every time. I bought my first Porsche after my sencond year at my first architectural job 15 years ago for $37K and never regreted it. Having a career should help establish a fairly secure future or employment, worst is, you sell it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A. Think of it as a reward for graduating college...:nanner:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lotus are not like other sports cars. They are a true DRIVER'S car, they are not very rewarding to drive to the inexperienced.

Do you have previous sports car experience and want to take your driving fun to the next level?

Or are you just judging the car by its looks and reviews?

If this is your first REAL sports car (RWD) then you may want to start with something like a boxster or Z4. Those cars have features that are more forgiving for less experienced drivers and are comfortable, yet, provide a great driving experience as well.
I've dabbled in various sports cars including a z06, a Boxter, several highly modded mr2s, and a quick spin in a Diablo, but they were only for a short time and I never got a chance to really open up the cars. So yes, this would technically be the first "real" sports car that I would have owned.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I drive my Elise everyday. It rarely fails to what any other car can do.

·
Banned
874 Posts
i didnt read anything but the title. get the exige.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you want it, buy it. If it sucks, sell it, money lost, lesson learned, move on.

There are no rules to life but the ones you make, so no need to ask others to make them for you. That is just asking for validation. I say learn life the hard way. Much more fun like that.

Young, single, no responsibilities. Now is your time to live it up. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
get the exige...

but dont get a kia or or anything else made in korea... get a japanese econobox. I do have a bias towards the two door yaris... but i get ~42mpg and it was dirt cheap brand new and have had zero issues with it. and well I am getting a new exige S240 to go with my econobox :D

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Sounds like you haven't sat/been/driven in one. Test drive one and that will help you decide.. my guess is you will either HATE it or LOVE it. It's not a car for everyone.

If you've done the numbers and you can afford one, and a beater car(?), w/o stretching yourself financially, go for it! Be sure to read up on driving midengine cars and take it to an autocross or something before you start taking corners fast on the street. This car isn't forgiving near its limits (esp on the street). Go in too hot on one turn and it can easily be totalled by a curb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, in that I'm thinking about an Exige, though I won't be purchasing for about a year, or until my M5 is paid off.

I've had a pretty good history of "sports cars" and I know I can handle the Exige, I'm just wondering.. how much maintenance are members doing on their own cars, how many miles are they throwing at it annually, and what else is in the garage? (I'll be keeping the M5 to split driving duties with the little Lotus)

- This is my first post of many on this board, my name's Tim! (not lance like my username)

- Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get the exige. I bought a 2006 exige a month ago and I love it. I had a 2007 Porsche 997 which I sold because I couldnt justify the cost considering it sat in my garage most of the time and replaced it with an exige for half the price and I drive it twice as much. I also own a Silverado LTZ, a hummer H3, and a couple of bikes so its not a daily driver. I'm 34 years old and would have no problem with the lotus as a daily driver if my job didnt require me to drive a truck. I've got a removable steering wheel which makes entry/exit a breeze. You'll love it at your age.

Andy

·
Registered
381 Posts
option X: get an ultima gtr and dump an LS1 in it. Then get a second car, beater to scoot around in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Buy it. If you find you regret it, you won't be out that much money. You are young, you can make it back later. Benefits are many. Only downside is if you find you don't like it, you will have learned something about yourself and that isn't so bad, is it?

Doooo it!
Kev

1 - 20 of 24 Posts