The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

In a few weeks or so I plan on servicing my V8 FE. I plan to renew all fluids (engine oil, transaxle oil, brake fluid, and coolant). Should I use Havoline Extended Life Dexcool, which is what the last dealer used when they serviced it?

Everything I am reading about Dexcool is steering me to flush it out completely and use Valvoline Zerex G-05. What is the best way to remove the Dexcool completely? I know there are some acid based flushes out there, which is the safest to use on the Esprit V8?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a lot of aluminum parts in your cooling system, then you should use the newer type antifreezes. They are not green/yellow. Instead they're often orange, blue or red.

You should not mix different style antifreezes.

It is all about corrosion inhibition, and it does matter in some applications. If you have an aluminum radiator or a chargecooler, you would be stupid not to use the proper coolant, as the cost difference is small.

Dexcool did have a gelling problem in the past, but there are other brands.

If you have mostly steel/brass then it is less of a concern.

Since the Lotus contains a lot of aluminum, and new motors are not available, I would be careful.

Randy
Thanks for the response Randy. I am just trying to decide whether to keep using Havoline Dexcool which is what Lotus recommended and the last Lotus dealer used or flush it out and use some other long life coolant that is not Dexcool. Frankly, I don't care how much it cost, I just care to use the best I can for the car.

I also know not to use tap water. I only use distilled water.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really doubt is old Dexcool. It was recently replaced (mid 2012) by Newport Beach. I will probably flush it with distilled water just to clean everything and then put Dexcool back in. I am going to go with Zerex Dexcool since it is available locally (Napa, etc.). Havoline Dexcool is not available locally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.