The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been lusting over the Lotus Evora for 3 weeks now and I still can not make up my mind. I have a 75k limit on a new car and the Evora seems to be the best option for any car under 100k. I am only interested in the IPS version because I am selling my manual 997 and want something that is not super annoying on congested roads. I have test drove the car twice and both times enjoyed the steering a ton. The power felt good for 276 but I hope that I will not become tired with the lack of true super car acceleration. I know this car is about the handling, sense of occasion and romance of the British machine but I will be holding onto this car for at least 5 years.

Now I am writing this post because I hate ordering cars and then having them become obsolete within just a few months to a year. I would hate for Lotus to redesign the Evora or add more power to it. Also when do you think they will offer the evora with a dual clutch transmission? I wouldnt want to settle for the auto box when a superior gearbox is just around the corner. How long do you think my Evora will be current? Does lotus have the capabilities to revamp the Evora shortly or should I pull the trigger and enjoy? Also say in a few years I would like to supercharge the N/A evora? Will the IPS be able to handle the power? Also if I choose to not order the tech package in order to save some money could I have my local auto electronics shop add a superior aftermarket unit?

Thanks for answering all of my questions and reading this post. I am a new member here and I look forward to hearing back from you.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
NO. Don't order one. Not worth it. Pick one up off a dealer lot and get a better deal..much more bargaining if that is the case. Unless you have ooodles of expendable income, there is a lot to be saved buying off the lot. Several dealerships have some gorgeous NA IPS cars in stock right now....

As for everything else-Ramtin can speak to the SC but for the IPS AFAIK the only difference is again clutch and flywheel...gearing is the same. I wouldn't plan on it being obsolete..I think the evora will be around for awhile... and for the tech package-you can add a lot of that for cheaper, and do a better job at it, outside of the dealer (stereo, folding mirrors, etc)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why of course not! If you take the sage advise of many who post here you'll get a Vette or, even better, a Camaro SS, as they are infinitely more capable.
In all seriousness, getting existing stock on the dealer lot is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
just wanted to add....Buy an evora...I love mine...but just don't custom order...as much as in my dreams I would love to custom order a LRG with cognac leather interior S fully loaded...it just isn't worth the money.

·
Illegal Alien
4,690 Posts
just wanted to add....Buy an evora...I love mine...but just don't custom order...as much as in my dreams I would love to custom order a LRG with cognac leather interior S fully loaded...it just isn't worth the money.
I custom ordered because I wanted a custom interior, but I am the exception and I was getting the S which is so limited that bargaining is almost none existent. The 2012 IPS is very good, while still a true automatic, the shifting program is excellent and is potentially as quick as the manual, at least in the S model. While dual clutch version exists in a race version of the car, that car is selling for 200K and when I priced the transaxle it was 40K along from the transaxle vendor.. Most ‘12’s coming in are n/a IPS so just buy of the lot and save. Factory SC can be added to the n/a, it is available from the Motorsport division, they Will make you sign a warranty waiver, so it is not really for brand new cars or faint at heart. As mentioned, Ramtin is the first to do the conversion and that was only in the last few weeks.

PS I love the car, and while I have over 100k in mine, I feel it is well worth it.

·
Illegal Alien
4,690 Posts
Why of course not! If you take the sage advise of many who post here you'll get a Vette or, even better, a Camaro SS, as they are infinitely more capable.
In all seriousness, getting existing stock on the dealer lot is the way to go.
Infinitely more capable of being a piece of heavy scrape iron with no ability to keep a smile on the face.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
IPS will be available in "S" trim for the US soon. I believe they will start popping up sometime in October/November?

·
Registered
124 Posts
NO - Do not order one. As others have stated, just buy one off the lot.

I ordered one and it was a frustrating experience. I will skip the back story, but I waited for the car for a year after I ordered it and wound up not buying it. I will never order a car again.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Evan24k:

I disagree with the others in ordering, I feel you should get exactly what you want. Do not get me wrong you will get a better deal on an evora sitting on the lot but you should get the color/combo to your exact desire. Good luck on your decision and welcome to the club !

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Yes depends on just how set on any particular color and options you might be, and of course willingness to pay for it.

When the Heritage Edition became known I placed a deposit before they left Hethel.

The 2012 interiors are really nice.

I'd want to install a different head unit, they are advancing quickly now.

Does Tech option include back up sensors? Nice to have with such limited rear visibility.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Do an inventory search at a dealer first before you make your decision. Contact Matt Degruttola at Valenti Motors inWatertown CT (860 274-8846) Tell them Dr John sent you. He will be able to do a nationwide search for you which should help your decisions. I'd narrow your acceptability down to 2-3 color choices and 2 interior choices. There are a bunch of beautiful colors out there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Evan24k here are a couple of thoughts for what they are worth, if you want a car that is bespoke to your needs with exactly the right trim & options buy new, buy one from a dealer if your happy with whats available and not to fussy about options. I suspect that Lotus may bring out versions with greater power, however this is not what a lotus is all about.

I have had enough lotus's over the years, these cars are quick and no you do not get board of them.

Here is a suggestion if your in NY why not just do a factory visit tell the guys you are going get them to take you on the track do tour of the production line, I think that would make your mind up its a small investment to make on something you say you are going to keep for 5 years.

Fly to London get a Train to Norwich and a taxi to the factory.......How decadent, how delightful ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Last year I custom ordered 2 new cars from their factories.

When looking at the Evora S, I could have bought a different brand car and had a vehicle like thousands of others, but I ordered my S so it would be unique. I had a great experience at my dealership and got the car exactly as I wanted it. Because of this, I know that I won’t park next to an identical car no matter where I go. For that, it was completely worth it to me.:clap:

I ordered my S in May of 2011 and was told it would be in the last week of August. It was one week late. So, I had a great experience buying the car, and have had an even better experience driving it.

I also ordered my Volvo S60 AWD T6 last year for Over Seas Delivery. That enabled me to get options not available here in the US (like the paint color that we chose) to make it unique, plus I picked it up and drove it in Sweden, and took a tour of the factory. It was delivered to the US one week earlier than scheduled.

I enjoyed both experiences. It’s too bad that it wasn’t the same for everyone who has ordered a Lotus.

Would I order a Lotus from the factory again? Absolutely. But,Toaster is 100% correct. The next time I would do it right and go on the factory tour like I did the Volvo. That’s the only regret I have.:(

·
Registered
90 Posts
actually buying from the lot is the best solution to get a 0 mile evora and i am sure you could easily find a color combo you would like in usa. mine was the one and only car in the greek dealers lot and he needed to register the car for himself before the year ends. so he just offered me all the extras on the car -which is LE- (parking cam, cream leather interior, CRbox, folding mirrors, sports&tech&premium pack) for free. that made a total discount of 25% incl taxes.
you can find good deals sometimes. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Jamie at Lotus of Bethesda has two IPS car, one in blue and one in red. He'd be happy to sell either one to you. Mention that I sent you. (888) 813-6876

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
See that's how you get help from the Lotus Talk cognoscenti!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
there are a few IPS at Newport as well, three of which are absolutely stunning in person (and woudl be my pick if I wanted an IPS)

Autumn Bronze/Cognac
Nightfall BLue/cognac
Aspen White/imperial blue

a great selection nationwide right now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow guys this forum rocks! Thank you for all the great responses im gonna be searching the dealer lots diligently. The issue I have is that I must trade in my 997 turbo cab for one plus I would need some money back. Also I will not purchase a car that has been used a lot for test drives and demos. I would want a brand new car with the interior wrapping intact. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Also why are all the cars on ebay for sale with sub 1000 miles on the clock? Are people regretting their purchases lol? Whats the highest milage evora on the forum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they really do have some nice ones there. I love the white one with the Imperial Blue premium sport pack. Never loved white cars but wow that interior is cool!

there are a few IPS at Newport as well, three of which are absolutely stunning in person (and woudl be my pick if I wanted an IPS)

Autumn Bronze/Cognac
Nightfall BLue/cognac
Aspen White/imperial blue

a great selection nationwide right now...

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I have to go with the crowd on this one. I think you are money ahead buying off the lot and making changes yourself.
I found the color I wanted and did the rest myself
Car sticker was around $80K purchased for $66K
Didn't have tech package so I installed my own, but even better than stock
No sport exhaust, no problem. did it myself
no dark headliner. added a SuedeTex headliner and it is awesome
And many more upgrades

After all the upgrades I'm money ahead and I have my car now driving it, not waiting for the car to be delivered.:shift:

For me, half the fun is making the changes and going beyond the factory standard.:UK:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts