The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling my floormats out to dry again, I'm considering just stripping out the carpet and foam. I really like the bare aluminum look, but I'm not sure how hard it is to do or if it is a bad idea. I have an '05 Ardent Red over red leather with black trim. I drive the car as a half daily driver.
For those who have bare aluminum, do you have any problems with it? Scratching, corrosion, trouble keeping your feet in place when driving? I found a few old links, but I'm wondering how cleanly and easily the foam can be removed. I found 3 old links, but they were all new mods to new cars. With an eight year old car, I fear the mats may not be removable.
I'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Do it and see if you like it. It's easy enough to pull it all out and put it back in, you'd be out an hour or so of labor worst case.

By foam, you mean the insulation behind the rear plastic panel? I hope you don't mean the 4 squares of sound damping on the floor-pan, just leave those there!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup sound deadening, velcro, maybe even the side carpet hangers. Although, the sound mats under the seats don't show, so they could stay or be my opportunity to test my technique.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
You may get more random sounds while driving. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. I like to hear some engine noise but that's about it. I added some sound/heat insulation to under the floor mats and that made a small difference. It should be an easy job to take out all the carpet and foam and a pretty easy job to put it back. Maybe label things as to where it came from to make install easier for when you want to put it back.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Your aluminum WILL scratch if you do that. Your shoes pick up little pebbles and debris and deposit them on your car's floor where the shuffling of your feet will cause them to scratch the aluminum.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
My main issue is I tend to slip as I get in with the bare aluminum. I have the Sector rubber floor mats so they look a bit unique and provide good grip when I get in.

I pulled the rest of my interior last year but my car is almost all track.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the sound mats hard to remove? I have fears of them coming up in nickel sized chunks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts