The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is the Starshield good enough protection?

I already blue-taped the rocker panels, because I know they can take a beating, but how about the front end?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The more tape the better! The Starshield works....if you plan on replacing it every year from it getting hammered. What event are you attending?

The rocker panels are the important parts to tape. I end up taping up the front end on some tracks that have tons of bugs or lots of clag [rubber bits]. At the end of the day, it's quicker to apply and remove the tape than to sit with the car and a can of tar remover for half an afternoon. Also, don't forget to tape the leading edge of the side scoops; they get just as much abuse as the rockers.

"War Paint"

RYE_2860.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I wouldn't talk you out of taping over the front clam & rockers... I did the same thing when I first tracked my Exige.

You might want to look into the black rocker protection sold by Chuforia Graffix here

Between tracking my Exige and driving it on public roads and freeways, most of the Starshield and paint damage happened on public roads...

Here's how it usually looked on track...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, Ryephile. I like your 'war paint'.

I live in South Florida, and I'm going to Homestead Speedway tomorrow.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Get this stuff from one of the members here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/track-day-protection-thats-better-than-blue-tape-93201/index5.html#post1583000

Put three layers on the rocker panels below your side scoops: I've had rocks *penetrate* two layers of 8mil vinyl AND starshield. Three layers seem to be the magic number.

Consider putting side skirts on the car. My straight aluminum side skirts cut down debris strikes on the rocker panel by 95%. I can make do with just a single layer now.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Honestly when I started I would always tape up my car but I found that to be so time consuming to tape and untape/wash that I find it quicker and easier to clean off all the rubber and bugs with turtle wax bug and tar remover.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't tape mine up, and a couple of times a year spend a few hours cleaning rubber marks from the whole front and rocker panels, they get a lot. The star shield holds up just fine.

If I knew what I know now when I started tracking, I'd put some protective film on the windshield, that's what takes the biggest beating. After a couple years and 40-50 track days (jeez, I lost track), my windshield is quite peppered.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you opt for not taping and cleaning afterwards I have a secret. Porsche race guru (Mike from Body Motion) turned me on to it. Waterless car cleaner, the stuff with a petroleum base. It is the only... I repeat.... only thing that takes the rubber off easily, even off the Star Shield. I still would tape rocker panels cuz they just plain get beat up. But for everywhere else....

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you opt for not taping and cleaning afterwards I have a secret. Porsche race guru (Mike from Body Motion) turned me on to it. Waterless car cleaner, the stuff with a petroleum base. It is the only... I repeat.... only thing that takes the rubber off easily, even off the Star Shield. I still would tape rocker panels cuz they just plain get beat up. But for everywhere else....
Mineral spirits work great too. They're a mild solvent, so wash the car after using.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mineral spirits work great too. They're a mild solvent, so wash the car after using.
Don't know if you ever tried it but mineral spirits doesn't work anything like the waterless cleaners. Neither does WD-40 or anything else mineral base. Don't know why but this stuff scares the rubber into coming off.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
I started out as not taping...and now I tape. Part of the rocker panels. And the indicators cos I heard they can "fly" out on the track.

Also, search for the 3M blue tape in 3" width. Just released.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Don't know if you ever tried it but mineral spirits doesn't work anything like the waterless cleaners. Neither does WD-40 or anything else mineral base. Don't know why but this stuff scares the rubber into coming off.
So I just bought a waterless cleaner by Meguiar's at the local auto parts place, and it's even worse at washing the rubber off than plain water, since it lubricates the rag :D, which product are you using? Mineral spirits work well for me, but require some scrubbing. I'd love something better.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Painting the lower rocker panels is cheap. Also no one sees them unless lying on their sides. Its called patina and is worth a lot on collector cars.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You gain the greatest advantage on the track by putting tape....
on your opponent's windshield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts