The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted this handle while my trunk was open today. I never saw it before (my car is only a week old!) so I dont know its normal state. The white handle is dangling there, not really secure at all. It feels broken but I Just dont know. See photo below. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
If you really want to test it, you can unscrew the locking pin down below (attached the trunk wall near the exhasut) then press it into the locked position. Basically, simulate shutting the trunk but my moving the locking pin instead of the trunk lid. Then pull the handle and see if it releases.

All that being said, I strongly recommend a locking aerocatch. It eliminates any chance of locking your keys in the trunk, and it lets you open and close the trunk whenever you want since it doesn't automatically lock (especially helpful when you don't want to turn off the engine just to open the trunk real quick)

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/aerocatch-revisited-398569/

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should that piece be hanging free as it is in my car? That is what I want to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thank you. All is normal it seems. It just seemed so odd having that piece moving about, rather than secured.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's even worse when you consider that that handle is the safety exit release handle incase someone is locked in the trunk...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's even worse when you consider that that handle is the safety exit release handle incase someone is locked in the trunk...
That's what I thought this handle was for, but my goodness, that trunk is small. Would a toddler know to use that handle?? :crazyeyes

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
637 Posts
That's what I thought this handle was for, but my goodness, that trunk is small. Would a toddler know to use that handle?? :crazyeyes
That's the standard joke, yes.

This is what happens when DOT or NHTSA makes a regulation without thinking all the cases through. It would have been trivial for them to say 'in excess of 5 cu ft' but they didn't.

The stupid little GITD handle (and associated latch) is one of the things Lotus had to do to make the car legal for sale in the USA.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
I used to know the progression of children's grip development. I no longer do.

But, if a child or adult with limited movement or deftness has to grab something, it is easier if that item is a bit loose. Think about it.

And, have you not noticed these things in almost every car in the country??

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Should that piece be hanging free as it is in my car? That is what I want to know. Thank you.
You said it feels broken; it is normally attached like any other handle I've ever seen (just by the tension in the cable which is not much), so if it doesn't feel like that then there may be an issue. I actually did have mine break, so there was no resistance when pulling the release.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Yours looks normal.

I had a problem once with the handle in my car. I had the trunk very tightly packed for a road trip and that pushed that handle into a position in which it could not move. When you unlock the trunk using the key, that handle needs to move a bit. In my case because it was stuck the trunk would not open.

After many hours of fiddling around, I guess it moved enough for the key to turn the lock.

As a result of all of that, I removed the plastic handle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts