The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should we set up a sleeping area for SCNAX members for the Aug 10th Event. I know that I won't be able to stay up all night!

Art

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW I'm chief of workers for the event and would like some volunteers to help.

Art

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could you sleep? With the noise of the cars and the PA and everything else?

This event won't be nearly as long as the others because 1.) at night, 2.) at norton.

I can help out with working workers, but I don't know when. I'm running group 1B, working group 2 then don't want to hang out too much longer.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
132 Posts
Man, i could be asleep in the passengers seat :D

But i do think it's a good idea, although probably more hassle and work that what it's worth. The only worthwhile area would be a mobile home....but hey, if you build it they will sleep ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might be able to borrow my dad's Trailer. We could park it off the site a little to cut the noise and it's huge could sleep a bunch of people, but then again I've been told I snore.

Art

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trys -

Me and a buddy would like to volunteer to work the Norton night event. We don't plan on running and are willing to do whatever event-related work you assign to us.

We ran at Norton on 07/28 but didn't stay to do our share of work (personal scheduling requirements prohibited us from working into the late afternoon/early evening). We feel guilty about this and want to work the next event.

Keep me posted here or e-mail me at [email protected] or just let me know what time we should show up at Norton and we'll be there!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I notice that PAX runs in group 1B and works group 2. Is PAX for those running time only?

·
Registered
125 Posts
PAX class is for those that can basically whoop ass in any given class, so they give them a place to compete against each other. It does a great job of getting people into the regular classes by taking the guy who always wins out of the picture. I never touched my CRX because I had no interest in losing to Dave Palmquist in CSP. Now he's out of the class and currently I'm too cheap to bother fixing up either of my cars for that class. (it takes about 25 grand to be competitive in CSP, plus about 6-8 grand a year)

But Bob, you're onto something there! What a great way for people to get out of the event early! Either drive a kart or run PAX... :)

BTW, Eric could probably be talked into loaning his KT kart to somebody. It's a clutch kart, no shifting and very easy to drive. Can run CSP times... I bet he won't be loaning out his shifter for a while though. That unexpected $500 expense is gonna hurt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd drive his sprint cart. Don't have a way of getting it to the event and don't have a kart suit.

I understand the $25k to make a CSP car competitive, but $6-8k a year on what? Tires, tuning, more tires, more tires. Doesn't sound like 8 big ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
MX5bob said:
I understand the $25k to make a CSP car competitive, but $6-8k a year on what? Tires, tuning, more tires, more tires. Doesn't sound like 8 big ones.
Travel, gas, trailering. It's hard to be nationally competitive in a street driven SP car.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
125 Posts
Jay's on track...but Hoosiers are easily 50% of the budget. Figure four to six two-day national events a year, and a dozen one-day locals. Three heat cycles to a set of tires, about a day each, mabye. $750 mounted a set. Ain't cheap.

-la

·
Registered
86 Posts
Larry Andrews said:
Jay's on track...but Hoosiers are easily 50% of the budget. Figure four to six two-day national events a year, and a dozen one-day locals. Three heat cycles to a set of tires, about a day each, mabye. $750 mounted a set. Ain't cheap.

-la
I wasn't thinking about the travel expenses as being part of making the car competitive. Of course the initial $25k would include at least a trailer for tires. Somehow, I doubt Bill S. drove his Miata to Bremerton, but he does to local events.

Hoosiers only last for a day's competition? There's $8k right there, forget about dyno time. That SM class is looking better all the time. Plus I get smog legal turbo or supercharged car to drive on the street.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, Hoosiers will last two to three days before they really start losing their grip, from what I've been told. Of course, El Toro would wear them to cord far sooner than that. Steve Eguina once got exactly five runs out of a $1300 set of new Hoosiers at a practive. He *never* did that again.

At the highest levels, autocross isn't cheap. It's still one of the cheapest motorsports...

For the best speed to cost ratio: karts. :)

Oh yeah, I think Bill S. did drive to Bremerton. :rolleyes: Glad it wasn't me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Larry Andrews said:
Well, Hoosiers will last two to three days before they really start losing their grip, from what I've been told. Of course, El Toro would wear them to cord far sooner than that. Steve Eguina once got exactly five runs out of a $1300 set of new Hoosiers at a practive. He *never* did that again.

At the highest levels, autocross isn't cheap. It's still one of the cheapest motorsports...

For the best speed to cost ratio: karts. :)

Oh yeah, I think Bill S. did drive to Bremerton. :rolleyes: Glad it wasn't me.

1,100 miles in a Miata with 500 lb. front springs? I hope his back teeth didn't rattle out. :rolleyes:

A kart looks better all the time. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like we need a night out at Dromo! :)

I'll give Eric a call to see how the repairs are coming.

-la

·
Registered
118 Posts
MX5bob said:
1,100 miles in a Miata with 500 lb. front springs? I hope his back teeth didn't rattle out. :rolleyes:

A kart looks better all the time. :D
Try 2200 miles. And Ken Motonishi rode back with him. And I thought they were 600lb springs. And those seats didn't look overly well-padded.:) And don't forget the Falken Azenis he is running. They add a bit to the spring rate, and they hum rather nicely on OR/WA stud-grooved I-5. Not that you could hear the tires over the exhaust noise.

There's a reason that David Palmquist trailers his.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts