The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the craziest/most interesting engines you guys have seen swapped into a Lotus of any kind. Seems a bit against Sir Colin's creed, but I'm sure many have been tempted to swap big iron into such lightweight chassis...

I read on my local (Seattle) Craigslist of a spirited fellow with a supercharged K24 swapped into his Exige, which must be fun (maybe he's on these boards as well, now that I think of it). Surely there are others still more bonkers than he?

Only engine swap with which I myself have direct experience is in a 1982 Porsche 928 5-speed. It came to me missing it's factory 4.5L Porsche V8, so we improvised a small-block chevy, bored to 406ci and dynoed at 505 HP. So far the transaxle has not consumed itself. Fingers crossed.

Show us your crazy swaps!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You must be referring to me and my K24 swapped Exige. And you're right --- it's a metric crap-ton of fun. I believe I posted a link to my For Sale thread in the Craigslist ad. Here it is if you missed it:

As far as interesting (and lightweight, in keeping with Chapman's philosphy) swaps go, there was a member here who swapped a 5-cylinder Audi engine along with the DCT gearbox into his Exige (might've been an Elise, I can't recall). THAT was pretty nuts. I've also seen a shop in Japan swap an Subaru EJ into an Exige. There's also the Toyota V6 (as in the Evora, I belive Monkey Wrench Racing offers a "kit" for it, though I wouldn't risk my money on that). Other than that, there are a plethora of mad men out there who have done V8 and V12. Money makes anything possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must be referring to me and my K24 swapped Exige. And you're right --- it's a metric crap-ton of fun. I believe I posted a link to my For Sale thread in the Craigslist ad. Here it is if you missed it:

As far as interesting (and lightweight, in keeping with Chapman's philosphy) swaps go, there was a member here who swapped a 5-cylinder Audi engine along with the DCT gearbox into his Exige (might've been an Elise, I can't recall). THAT was pretty nuts. I've also seen a shop in Japan swap an Subaru EJ into an Exige. There's also the Toyota V6 (as in the Evora, I belive Monkey Wrench Racing offers a "kit" for it, though I wouldn't risk my money on that). Other than that, there are a plethora of mad men out there who have done V8 and V12. Money makes anything possible.
I salute you! What a beautiful machine. I agree with your ad - 13lbs is very conservative. The K24 is such a stout package, even from the factory. Shows remarkable restraint that you didn't twist that knob on the boost controller a little further...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I salute you! What a beautiful machine. I agree with your ad - 13lbs is very conservative. The K24 is such a stout package, even from the factory. Shows remarkable restraint that you didn't twist that knob on the boost controller a little further...
Haha, thanks! Even at a modest 320whp / 273ft lb it feels pretty damn scary. I can't imagine my skill can handle going much higher than that!

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I’ve seen a Buick V8 in a G Body Esprit, and a Mazda rotary in an S2 Europa.

Reactions: MiataSquad

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve seen a Buick V8 in a G Body Esprit, and a Mazda rotary in an S2 Europa.
Can't go wrong with a Buick/Rover 3.5. Amazing how versatile that platform is - they were getting 400+hp out of them, NA, at TVR. So cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts