The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the craziest/most interesting engines you guys have seen swapped into a Lotus of any kind. Seems a bit against Sir Colin's creed, but I'm sure many have been tempted to swap big iron into such lightweight chassis...

I read on my local (Seattle) Craigslist of a spirited fellow with a supercharged K24 swapped into his Exige, which must be fun (maybe he's on these boards as well, now that I think of it). Surely there are others still more bonkers than he?

Only engine swap with which I myself have direct experience is in a 1982 Porsche 928 5-speed. It came to me missing it's factory 4.5L Porsche V8, so we improvised a small-block chevy, bored to 406ci and dynoed at 505 HP. So far the transaxle has not consumed itself. Fingers crossed.

Show us your crazy swaps!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You must be referring to me and my K24 swapped Exige. And you're right --- it's a metric crap-ton of fun. I believe I posted a link to my For Sale thread in the Craigslist ad. Here it is if you missed it:

As far as interesting (and lightweight, in keeping with Chapman's philosphy) swaps go, there was a member here who swapped a 5-cylinder Audi engine along with the DCT gearbox into his Exige (might've been an Elise, I can't recall). THAT was pretty nuts. I've also seen a shop in Japan swap an Subaru EJ into an Exige. There's also the Toyota V6 (as in the Evora, I belive Monkey Wrench Racing offers a "kit" for it, though I wouldn't risk my money on that). Other than that, there are a plethora of mad men out there who have done V8 and V12. Money makes anything possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must be referring to me and my K24 swapped Exige. And you're right --- it's a metric crap-ton of fun. I believe I posted a link to my For Sale thread in the Craigslist ad. Here it is if you missed it:

As far as interesting (and lightweight, in keeping with Chapman's philosphy) swaps go, there was a member here who swapped a 5-cylinder Audi engine along with the DCT gearbox into his Exige (might've been an Elise, I can't recall). THAT was pretty nuts. I've also seen a shop in Japan swap an Subaru EJ into an Exige. There's also the Toyota V6 (as in the Evora, I belive Monkey Wrench Racing offers a "kit" for it, though I wouldn't risk my money on that). Other than that, there are a plethora of mad men out there who have done V8 and V12. Money makes anything possible.
I salute you! What a beautiful machine. I agree with your ad - 13lbs is very conservative. The K24 is such a stout package, even from the factory. Shows remarkable restraint that you didn't twist that knob on the boost controller a little further...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I salute you! What a beautiful machine. I agree with your ad - 13lbs is very conservative. The K24 is such a stout package, even from the factory. Shows remarkable restraint that you didn't twist that knob on the boost controller a little further...
Haha, thanks! Even at a modest 320whp / 273ft lb it feels pretty damn scary. I can't imagine my skill can handle going much higher than that!

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I’ve seen a Buick V8 in a G Body Esprit, and a Mazda rotary in an S2 Europa.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve seen a Buick V8 in a G Body Esprit, and a Mazda rotary in an S2 Europa.
Can't go wrong with a Buick/Rover 3.5. Amazing how versatile that platform is - they were getting 400+hp out of them, NA, at TVR. So cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to research swaps and possible engines. Does anyone know how wide the engine bay is from frame well to frame well, or the length of the 2zz from Bell housing to the front of the pulleys? That would help a lot in my research. I haven't purchased an Elise yet so I can't measure it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts