The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my Lotus Elise about 2 weeks back i had it out two times in that two times i have had about 4 people ask if lotus is a kit car? are these people freaking retarted? when i say its a real lotus they import them here there eyes light up like its xmas they must think that a lotus must cost like a kazillin dollars all in all the attention this car gets can be a little distracting. a 16 year old kid in his beat up honda civic hatch tailgated me so close i had to pull over and let him by aparently hes not worried about his car i sure as hell was mine

·
Registered
933 Posts
a 16 year old kid in his beat up honda civic hatch tailgated me so close i had to pull over and let him by aparently hes not worried about his car i sure as hell was mine
Yesterday some fat troll was doing the same thing to me with her Honda. She was following so close that when traffic suddenly slowed down, she had to barrel to the right to avoid hitting me. Seems like all the bonehead tailgaters drive beat up imports trying to get a closer look!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Some of these people asking about the car being a kit may remember that in the early days Lotus sold cars as kits to avoid some taxes. They may not realize Lotus stopped doing that 40 years ago when the tax loophole was closed. Even the Elan was available as a kit initially - and of course 7s were available as kits too.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
You can get a personalized plate that says "NOTAKIT."

·
Registered
685 Posts
just got my Lotus Elise about 2 weeks back i had it out two times in that two times i have had about 4 people ask if lotus is a kit car? are these people freaking retarted? when i say its a real lotus they import them here there eyes light up like its xmas they must think that a lotus must cost like a kazillin dollars all in all the attention this car gets can be a little distracting. a 16 year old kid in his beat up honda civic hatch tailgated me so close i had to pull over and let him by aparently hes not worried about his car i sure as hell was mine
What part of the country are you in? I've got that once or twice, it is annoying and it does cost a kazillin dollars. rotfl

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's funny (and irritating). Formerly, I owned a 1995 Morgan Plus 8. This is a car with hand hammered aluminum body panels, and is as close to being "hand-crafted" as they come. Beautiful car, but here in bumf*@k, Alabama everyone would ask, "Did you put that there thang together yoreself?" Yeah, and my Aston Martin is just a weird looking Mustang...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
happens almost every time i drive it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Happened to me a bunch too. I just tell them a kit would have much better paint, interior plastics, ease of entry/ egress, a top that didn't leak, etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've never had that happen...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had a chap come up to me asking if my ride was a Ferrari! Huh???!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
A local pizza place said in a persian / pizza guy accidnet " ayya is thiss ahh your a ferrarrii? verrryy nice verry nice"

·
Registered
591 Posts
'What kind of car is that?"
Lotus,
"who makes it?"
Lotus

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I just got one question....is it a kit?

;)

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Happened to me a bunch too. I just tell them a kit would have much better paint, interior plastics, ease of entry/ egress, a top that didn't leak, etc.
rotfl rotfl rotfl

1 - 20 of 74 Posts