The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In as much as I can tell, the inner diameter of the wheel does not rotate.

The inner diameter of the wheel appears to be like the inner race of a bearing, probably like right and left bearing halves with a spur gear in the center which would be in mesh with both the drive gear and a gear on the inner face of the outer race.

The tire would then mount to the outer race portion of the wheel.

Ehhhh, that's how I would do it if money were no object.
Bearings that diameter will be ridiculously expensive about 6-8,000 each.

I replaced a couple of 8" F A G bearings on a hopper main drum last week at $760 each.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool!

Thanks for that link Aedo, that looks like the exact wheel.

I'll have to look it over more closely when I'm more conscious.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
No worries :) - I remember some Sbarro designs proposing it years ago - seems to have some great possibilities :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
absolutely stupid. I hat that crap like that is legal to ride around on our public roads but things like this are illegal.Bell and Colvill : Red Bull Lotus Exige GT3
Okay, so please spell this out for us.

Is it that you hate that someone else's ride is street legal?
Or do you hate that the one you want is not street legal?

Is it that you're tired of being oppressed or that you wish to ensure that everyone feels the weight of the oppression of tyrants for even trying to exercise any semblance of originality.

:shrug:

Since we're sharing, I hate communist ideologies. :eek:

But, I Love That Motorcycle, and what it represents in this age.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hubless wheels are heavy, expensive and much lower product life.

This technology has been around for 20 years, but it's never going to be anything that improves performance or lowers costs. I agree it looks gorgeous though :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Its a cool feat of engineering with a very cool effect, but I cant stand the super raked, fat tire, $100k douche choppers. It looks like an OCC POS with some cool wheels.

I don't know how new this bike is but Billy Lane made a hubless bike years ago, His has a little better style too IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
absolutely stupid. I hat that crap like that is legal to ride around on our public roads but things like this are illegal.Bell and Colvill : Red Bull Lotus Exige GT3

My guess is that its not legal. Not without wading through a sea of bureaucracy. I'm sure if you really wanted to drive your race car on the street you can jump through the same hoops. But what fun is a race car on the street?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Its a cool feat of engineering with a very cool effect, but I cant stand the super raked, fat tire, $100k douche choppers. It looks like an OCC POS with some cool wheels.

I don't know how new this bike is but Billy Lane made a hubless bike years ago, His has a little better style too IMO.

Billy Lane is in prison for the next 6 years for his dui manslaughter. Pretty sad for everyone involved.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Billy Lane is in prison for the next 6 years for his dui manslaughter. Pretty sad for everyone involved.
Did he end up going to prison? I thought he got off. Oh well I suppose he deserves it. He builds cool bikes though.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My guess is that its not legal. Not without wading through a sea of bureaucracy. I'm sure if you really wanted to drive your race car on the street you can jump through the same hoops. But what fun is a race car on the street?:shrug:
In CA bikes can't be raked that much, don't know about the other stuff but that alone makes it illegal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts