The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing the left front side marker light for my '88. Anyone have a good source for a replacement? :shrug:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm needing the left front side marker light for my '88. Anyone have a good source for a replacement? :shrug:
Not sure if the '88 side markers are the same as on my '02, but I suspect they are since those markers have been around since the early 80's. On my Esprit the side markers appear to be identical to the ones used on my DeLorean. Try DeLorean Motor Company | The Best Source for your DeLorean and they have a complete online catalog with prices, etc.

Knut

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The '94-on side markers are different. The earlier cars used the same side markers as most Fiats, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis of the same era.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,315 Posts
The source for the early Stevens cars was actually another exotic mid-engined sportster: The Bertone (nee Fiat) X1-9. :eek:

Sports Car World, Lotus Bits, or the Usual Lotus Parts Suspects would have, or know where, to source one.

+++++++++++

Edit: If you have time on your hands this winter, you could "upgrade" to a different style as Tony Grasso did years ago...

index

Or specifically:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the marker lights all around. I'll look about and see what I can come up with!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
There is a small hole behind OEM marker lights that the wires pass through to the surface mounted lights. BMW side marker lights can be flush cut into the body to give early Stevens a smoother more updated look. The lights are longer and not as high as the OEM lights similar in size to the S4 and newer styles

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have a set of chrome 88 esprit wheel for sale and many other.......including a front 95 S4 clip.....can send picture or it will be on ebay soon.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,315 Posts
I updated mine and like it better... LEDS
So, how about providing information to interested parties about your source of lights, and any fitment issues. :cool:

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
How about some info on how to remove the side markers, specifically the rear? The small hole the wire passes through has a rubber grommet. I don't see how you could get to the bolts on the back side of the marker through this small hole, and I don't want to remove the grommet just to never get it back in. I need to replace a rear marker. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The marker light has studs molded into the back of the red plastic lens. The black grommet is sandwiched between the plastic lens and the bumper with a pair of nuts and washers . At a minimum, you are going to have to remove the lower valence, remove the screws on the lead edge of the bumper (probably covered in black undercoating), and enough of the mounting bolts to allow you to bend the front edge of the bumper far away from the body to allow you access.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
So, how about providing information to interested parties about your source of lights, and any fitment issues. :cool:
Sorry, just noticed your question, no fitment issues, I got them on ebay. Its been a few years but I will try to find them and post a link.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have been through the side marker issue. Sanj is correct that in effect (and to not drive yourself nuts) you will need to remove the lower rear valence. I found that after a huge amount of struggle you can get the old markers off by stretching and configuring even with the valence in place - the problem really arises when you try and put the replacements back on the car and start the little M6 nuts and washers on the studs. The fronts are not quite as difficult as the rears but they are all a real PITA.

One other caution is be very careful in how much torque you put on those little studs when you install the replacements - it does not take much too pull the studs right off the bases. Don't ask me how I know....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been through the side marker issue. Sanj is correct that in effect (and to not drive yourself nuts) you will need to remove the lower rear valence. I found that after a huge amount of struggle you can get the old markers off by stretching and configuring even with the valence in place - the problem really arises when you try and put the replacements back on the car and start the little M6 nuts and washers on the studs. The fronts are not quite as difficult as the rears but they are all a real PITA.

One other caution is be very careful in how much torque you put on those little studs when you install the replacements - it does not take much too pull the studs right off the bases. Don't ask me how I know....

I think we can figure it out! :facepalm :shrug:

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts

My lower valence is permanently attached to the car via rust, corrosion and 25 years of never being removed. I read up on someone else's lower valence experience and it sounds like here are the steps:

1) Buy new car with intact marker lights...

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
I found the best way to replace the rear marker lights. Used my $20 amazon USB endoscope, a 1/4" drive swivel socket in 8mm and some spray glue. Put the nut in the socket, dipped the tip of the socket in spray glue and did the same with the washer. Once 5 minutes passed attached the washer to the socket which held in the nut. Put the socket on an extension and put it through the hole in the grommet. Next put in the endoscope and watched on the laptop as I hunted for the post on the reflector. Found the first and tightened in about 5 minutes. Second took about two minutes. Wish I thought of it earlier as the fixing of my broken valence bolts took hours and still not done.

Verdict is the $20 amazon endoscope with adjustable led brightness is well worth the money.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts