The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just driving into work this AM and had a Mini stopped next to me at a light and noticed that it had VERY similar side reflectors/lights as the Fed Elise. They are mounted on the fender extension/flare and seem to have the same curvature.

Can anyone confirm that Lotus raided the BMW parts bin to source the Elise side lights? Wouldn't be the first time in Lotus history that they've used parts from a more common car (and won't be the last I'm sure...)

Makes me think that someone has found an alternative in the Mini world for these lights...

Photo - Elise on Left - Mini or Right

Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Aren't they just reflectors on the MINI? On the Elise, they also light up. Not sure if they are the same thing or not. :confused:

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tidalwdave said:
Aren't they just reflectors on the MINI? On the Elise, they also light up. Not sure if they are the same thing or not. :confused:
Me too! That's why I posted the question. Here's a photo with the Mini's lights on... appears to be lit!

Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
I went to MINI2.com and looked in the photos section. None of the MINIs there had those lights. I looked at US cars and Euro ones, not one of the photos had those reflectors.

Maybe it's brand new or something.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Having seen them both on the Mini and Elise dont' think there the same. Even looking at the photos, notice the Elsie are more rounder at the edges. From what I recall the Mini are flush mounted the Elise aren't and appear to be much thicker.

·
Registered
154 Posts
funny, my wife and I noticed the same thing last weekend - don't know if they light up or not though.

The difference we could tell: minis are integrated into that plastic moulding that's on the edge of the wheel well.

The elise actually is bolted to the body work - thus sticks out (mini is integrated for a smooth look).

Robert

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Biomax said:
funny, my wife and I noticed the same thing last weekend - don't know if they light up or not though.

The difference we could tell: minis are integrated into that plastic moulding that's on the edge of the wheel well.

The elise actually is bolted to the body work - thus sticks out (mini is integrated for a smooth look).

Robert
They do seem to light on the Mini. And yes they are molded in, but it could be that they still bolt into a molded recess in the fender flare.

Curves of the fenders could be & are likely different...

Again... who owns a Mini or can go out into the parking lot and look at one more closely & report back???

This is exactly the type of piece that Lotus would grab off the shelf.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Only for you guys would I go outside in 13 degree weather to measure my reflectors.

Not measuring the arc of the thing but just the height from flat to flat is 6.25" The front reflector is yellow and the rear is red, both are lit when the lights are on. The moulding around the wheel arch is designed so that the reflector/lights are flush with the rest of the arch. Just looking at the pics I doubt these are the same piece but then again I've never seen the Elise in person so...

The fact that my MINI has these is probably why I wasn't too stressed about them being on the Elise. I kinda like them.

Jim

·
Registered
261 Posts
i dont see how they are the same. yes, they are similarly placed. just from the picture they look different. don't see why someone would actually suggest they are the same :confused:

as far as i m concerned, if it is some DoT requirement for these reflectors and it is necessary for them to have it before the Elise can come it, it is okay.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, major thanks to Jim for going out into the frozen tundra to get the measurements.

Second - the reason for the post was...

a) Lotus is known to do this and it typically is cheaper to buy replacements from the source.

b) When the first LA Show photos were posted there a lot of people on this forum who wanted an alternative to these lights. If these lights are similar or the same as the Mini then there could already be a solution/alternative on the market (and we wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel).

These lights are a DOT requirement. The ultimate way to confirm they are the same lights is to compare the DOT numbers - Elise vs. Mini.

Kiyoshi

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The new Solstice has very similar reflectors on the front.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Asked and checked how there mounted on the Elise, two bolts on either end and a rather large hole in the center (assume for the wiring). If you wanted to flush mount them like the Mini, you'd have to cut up the body work, or fill the holes if you remove them. For me neither would be wroth the effort.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Just looked at my Mini.

They are not the same units as found on the Elise.

The Mini's light up at the top of the reflector. The Elise has the LEDs in the center.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The new Solstice has very similar reflectors on the front.
I guess this is a new trend. Unfortunately Lotus' reflectors are not as well integrated as either of the others.At this point, though I could care less about the reflectors. They could make a body side molding of those reflector and I wouldn't care. I just want my car...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
solstice

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The big reason the reflectors are not integrated is the cost of the front clam mold. It would have meant a new one.

Because of the fabrication process of the clam, the mold costs something like 750,000 (I think it was UK pounds not dollars)
They just didn't have it in the budget to do it.
Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Solstice Side Running Lights

Agreed, the grille could have been better done, but the complete package - and especially the price point - looks good. There is no rear side marker because the Solstice tail lights work well enough to the side to preclude their need.

I put a deposit down at a local Pontiac dealer. The first several dealers I called basically said "Huh? What's a Solstice?" I found one to take my money and, based on my Elise experience, had the P.O. written for "MSRP at the time of delivery, number one order position, deposit refundable until delivery or special order".

Wow, the garage is gonna get CROWDED!

CDubya
Base Saffron Elise
#24 at Silicon Valley

1 - 20 of 20 Posts