The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been working with TurboPhil on a different mesh solution for the side vents. The different look really compliments the lines of the car. the mesh used is very close (small diamond) to the mesh used on the exige. The front of TurboPhil's car matches perfectly.

These are direct fit replacement and will fit on standard elise and clam hinge modified elise cars. TurboPhil has a set on his (his car in the pix).

I make these 2 sets at a time and could make more if enough interest. Price $150+your old side vents. Instructions on mounting will be included. The original hardware is used.

Let me know what you think. Any comments/questions appreciated!

Derek

Trouble uploading pix, should have them up before Monday, Sorry!

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm interested. Hopefully the mesh is similar to kiowapilot's (see interior/exterior board).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Here are a few of the pics from another thread.

As for removing the vent,there are two bolts to get the vents off. One very easy to get to bolt if you have Phils clam kit.

Tjis was how I was originally going to do my side vents, but I changed m mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That looks great... very interested in these

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to load a few pix of Phil's car.

These are plastic pieces (actuall original pieces) so they aren't powder coated. The mesh is plastic coated from a local store. I usually paint them flat black or I can use semi-gloss, gloss. I send them put together and ready to install. I could also not attach the mesh so if anyone would like to have them painted to match the body color. But there are black extensions still on the car that might stand out more.

Clam hinge cars: one bolt that attaches pointed towards the front of the car and two slots the vents slide into.

Non Hinged: best way is like Dave said, remove the rear wheel and wheel arch liner. Then are TWO bolts (I believe 10mm): one towards the front (same as above) and one pointed towards the outter fender. Remove these, slide out the old, slide in the new and reattach the bolts.

Shadowhusky's idea is great and will work for hinged. this will work for non hinged or someone that doesn't want to attach to mesh permanently to the car.

The vents can be taken back to stock should the need arise and can be purchased through Lotus Garage.

Yes, it's $150 for both Right and Left vent + your old vents. I pay for shipping to you and you ship the old vents back.

Dave, Yours are looking good and are being shipped out today at lunch. I'll have a tracking number for you this evening. Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Derek

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Will this fit a 07 Exige S? What is the main purpose for it? More airflow to the engine bay or mainly for looks? Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if these will work on an Exige. I think the main concern would be how the side scoops attach to the body. If there is a bolt/clip into the body panel, then you would have a hole that would need to be filled and painted.

I wouldn't expect an increase in air flow to the engine, especially when compared to the side scoops.

Mainly the prupose is looks and trying to get rid of the vent design.

Derek

P.S. I have exige scoops on my elise with the hole drilled in the body panel, so I probably won't be using these on my car. Just saw an opportunity make a great looking car look even better.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I keep looking for a solution to get rid of all my "fins" at the same time, with the same material. Any plans for that?

·
Registered
289 Posts
They look great - good job :bow:

They won't fit an Exige as the set up is slightly different. Unless you cut the clam a bit :no: Also - you'd have 3 holes left in the car as the side scoops currently need 3 screws into the clam to hold them in place.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I wouldn't expect an increase in air flow to the engine, especially when compared to the side scoops.

Mainly the prupose is looks and trying to get rid of the vent design.
Thanks for the reply. They do look great by the way :up:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've done this mod on my car a while back and I definitely prefer the cleaner lines over the Exige side scoops. SCC was the first to do this mod, basically involves cutting the factory Elise side scoops, removing the fins, and replacing it with mesh.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Pictures of the inside?

Do you have pictures of where the mesh attaches to the plastic from the inside of the duct?

Where do you get your mesh?

Finally, You might consider offering a complete set that replaces all the fins with the SAME mesh.
-robert

1 - 20 of 125 Posts