The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Due to "sheer" stupidity I managed to lop off my passenger OEM sideview mirror of my '05 Elise. The base's screw mounted stanchion post broke off cleanly (mirror is cosmetically unscathed). After one unsuccessful epoxy repair, I would rather replace (specifically) the mounting portion of the mirror assembly, but cannot find it as a separate Lotus part #. The number off the part (which appears to represent the entire mirror) is 41-4210-407. I'd be fine with acquiring a whole passenger-side mirror assembly at this point (my car is Chrome Orange). Any suggestions or pointers on the base-only piece direction are appreciated!

Lotus_mirror.jpg

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
It is a Rover mirror from the UK, so you might be able to find it on, say, UK Ebay. I'd have to google which model exactly, but I'll leave that to you ;) You own't find CO for the Rover, but maybe you can just swap over the guts as needed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Greetings,

Due to "sheer" stupidity I managed to lop off my passenger OEM sideview mirror of my '05 Elise. The base's screw mounted stanchion post broke off cleanly (mirror is cosmetically unscathed). After one unsuccessful epoxy repair, I would rather replace (specifically) the mounting portion of the mirror assembly, but cannot find it as a separate Lotus part #. The number off the part (which appears to represent the entire mirror) is 41-4210-407. I'd be fine with acquiring a whole passenger-side mirror assembly at this point (my car is Chrome Orange). Any suggestions or pointers on the base-only piece direction are appreciated!

View attachment 1264209
Watching with interest as I could have typed this exact post...down to the same color! Per the exploded view drawings, in theory the mirror/black swivel is one part and the color snaps on the back. I have tried to locate a passenger side OEM mirror in CO for a while, I have ended up with several other colors and I started to try to pry apart but it did not want to go easy. I just can't bear to break a good mirror to see how to take it apart... I wish I had a broken mirror to experiment with..
Oh yeah, it was previous owner that broke it...

And my current solution using fashion sense...lol "If you can't hide an imperfection, then draw attention to it"..

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would buy the Exige v6 mirror plinths, paint the base/plinths black. It’s a nice upgrade from stock

The glass separates from the colored portion of the mirror by prying gently from the rubber section (toward the car) then moving out away from the car. There are just a few clips on top and bottom of the mirror.

Still need the mirror housing paint matched though. I would imagine it is a pretty cheap part

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Or paint yourself. Primer, base color and clear color matched rattle can set with plastic adhesion promotor I think ran me around $65 from Automotivetouchup.com and can be used for color correction reairs on your car with leftovers.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Primer, base color and clear
CO is a specific shade of gray primer, yellow, translucent orange w/ metal flake, then clear. Because of the translucence of the orange, you have to get the thickness to match as well as the shade of primer. Given the small size of the mirror and no adjacent panels to compare to, you might get it close enough, but you know what they say about "once bitten".

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
Not sure of their kit for the CO but mine was for ST. It's hard to say it might be a bit lighter but since I was just using it to coat my repaired ground out winglets on either side of the plinth prior to splitter install I wasn't too finicky on color match perfection. I just painted from PPF line down and you can't tell unless you're within a few feet. One day I would like to get al the PPF replaced but afraid from what I've read that paint damage is possible and then a respray would have to be done. Maybe one day.....BTW their little bottles with brush are a great match for other nicks and dings on the car. Richard

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Not sure of their kit for the CO but mine was for ST. It's hard to say it might be a bit lighter but since I was just using it to coat my repaired ground out winglets on either side of the plinth prior to splitter install I wasn't too finicky on color match perfection. I just painted from PPF line down and you can't tell unless you're within a few feet. One day I would like to get al the PPF replaced but afraid from what I've read that paint damage is possible and then a respray would have to be done. Maybe one day.....BTW their little bottles with brush are a great match for other nicks and dings on the car. Richard
The shop described it as "Salmon" when they sprayed CO on dark gray primer without the yellow first 😂

Then, rather than spend the time stripping any paint off, they just re-primed, then yellow, then orange, then clear. Counting clear coats and primer, it had 12 layers of paint when it left their shop, so the whole ordeal has me very gun-shy.

If they supply both the yellow and orange then I'd expect a decent match, but I'd definitely curb my enthusiasm if they just supplied orange. For the touchup kit I got (don't remember from where) it was only orange, but my poor application at the time was a bigger error than the paint match, haha.

·
Administrator
1,412 Posts
I think I remember reading about the "salmon" reference. Good to know about the proper lay up of base coats to achieve the desired color.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts