The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please take a look at the photo (link) and let me know what you think. I don't see any damage other than the cracks and a scuffed bumperette. Do you think I'll need a new clam? The other driver got tickets for "Failure to control speed" and a suspended license. He didn't have proof of insurance, but the car he was driving IS insured.

damage1.jpg

You can click on the link to look at the full size version on flicker.com (click "All Sizes" and then click on the original size to view.)

The original is 10.3MB.

I also need to know who in the DFW area does the best Lotus body repair.

Flickr Photo Download: damage

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I dont see "All Sizes" or "original size"

but from what i can see, it will be fixable. One of those "it will buff right out". Then again, i cant really see a crack in the clam with the small pic :shrug:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont see "All Sizes" or "original size"

but from what i can see, it will be fixable. One of those "it will buff right out". Then again, i cant really see a crack in the clam with the small pic :shrug:
SORRY! Now you can look at the all sizes. I missed that setting.
:wallbang:

·
Registered
912 Posts

Looks like the paint is cracked. Not a buff out damage.

·
Registered
232 Posts
you can't really tell the damage.. need to look at it from the other side with a bright light source to make the cracks show up.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Awful - yeah those are stress cracks. It also looks like paint is missing right on the crease that surrounds the oval (the part the taillights are in). A repaint alone won't work. You have 2 routes - get a new clam or have a shop repair this clam. I think a bigger problem will be the paint - Chrome Orange can be tricky. Different paint manufacturers can create different effects in the metallic and color shifting you see with CO. Another thing I notice (most do not) is the clear coats effect which can look darker in artificial light or under incandescent or florescent light. This tends to make the repainted part stick out like a sore thumb. Again most don't understand this and if not - they wont recognize it or care. There are no easy break lines to blend and I would suggest that anyway - the whole clam at the least will need to be repainted. If you want the hatch to match the clam - it too will need that (or at least clear sprayed again over your color). I usually see CO Exiges hatch not match the clam when such a respray is done. Then, not to add more complications, is if you choose to repair this clam, the shop must prepare this very well to avoid contaminants from sanding, filler and old wax/protectants - and anything you may have ever put on the tires.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can see extensive horizontal spider-webbing. The real damage is inside or on the underside of the fiberglass. I think the paint needs to come off and re applied. Also do an inspection from inside the trunk. Put a camera on macro setting and take a pic from inside the trunk. I don't think this is a clam replacement though. Probably repaint the entire rearward facing area.
I'm no expert. I probably don't make novice :)

Also...Check the crease very closely. Inside and out. (Yes I just typed that).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That sucks! Paint definetely cracked. If this gets sanded down for repaint, have a look at the fiber glass. Pain in the a.. regardless.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A call from my insurance guy tells me I'm getting a new clam, "bumper" and half of the car painted to the mid doors. I have a question about diminished value. I know that the shop doing the repair is VERY GOOD. I don't expect to be able to tell that anything was done. BUT, does the fact that this will show on the cars history (CARFAX?) make my car worth less that another '07 Exige with 12,000 miles that has had no accidents? My car only had a few rock chips before the accident.

Any answers you have would help.

THANKS!
Ben

·
Registered
398 Posts
Depends on the insurance. When I had my front clam replaced on my first Elise after creaming an opossum at 80 MPH, there was no car fax entry. But Wawanesa may be less dilligent about entering carfax records than say, Progressive or Nationwode.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You never know about CARFAX. Ususally, if an accident shows up, it is from local govt records.

This is usually only a concern if a police report was filed. (I'm sure one was, in your case)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts