The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

if you would like to see a Signal(R) mirror for the Elise, like the one shown here:

Signal(R) mirror

then please take 20 seconds to fill out a request form from the company that makes them.

Request that a mirror be made available for the Lotus Elise

They are great for increasing the visibility of a vehicle, and with the Elise we can use all of the help we can get!

Thomas

P.S. In the interest of "full disclosure", I work for the company. I'm trying to rally support for the Elise not because I think it will make much money for the company, but because I *want one* on my Elise! :)

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photoshop

P.S. Could someone grab the "flashing" .gif off of the website, and stick it on a picture of the Elise's mirror? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Thanks!

Thomas

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ivan -

when you are alongside the car, just forward of their taillights, you can see the mirror turn indicator when you can't see the taillights.

The first time that I saw one of these was when I was alongside a big SUV (Excursion, I think) and he was turning *on top of me*. I noticed the mirror blinking and got out of the way (I think I may have had a hand gesture at the same time).

T.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No offense, but never, never, never. This is right up there with the reflectors on the wheel wells in terms of undesirable unsightly features. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>That is what the light that is between the door and the front wheel is for! (outside the USA)

Right, that is a "repeater". The Signal(R) mirror has even better visibility than that.

Thomas

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
adamant said:
That is what the light that is between the door and the front wheel is for! (outside the USA):rolleyes:
Yep. I'm not about to start drilling holes in the body of my new $40,000 car for a feature that I don't need (because it's already there). Besides if they don't see the Chrome Orange car next to them, they aren't going to see any little LEDs blinking...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>I'm not about to start drilling holes in the body

It is a direct fit replacement for your current mirror glass, there would be no holes involved.

T.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Visibility. I can send you several independent studies if you PM me.

T.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Thomasio said:
It is a direct fit replacement for your current mirror glass, there would be no holes involved.
Then how do the wires get to the mirror? Besides, the "vampire taps" to install the kit is a very good way to hack the wiring harness and have electrical trouble years later...

No thanks. The flashing side markers already on the the car should be good enough.

Does anyone know if the front wheel arch marker lights flash with the turn signals? That is easy enough for the factory to rig up...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the NHTSA, in the United States alone,
every 84 seconds there is a lane-change/merging accident.

I wouldn't want a lane-change/merging accident with an SUV and an Elise.

T.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Federal Elise already has repeaters just in front of the doors, right? Since most US cars don't have these, I would think your stats are somewhat meaningless.

I also can't see this light preventing a lane merge problem with an SUV.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Snowphun said:
The Federal Elise already has repeaters just in front of the doors, right?
If Lotus meets US regulation though, the repeater is rewired as a (I don't know what it is called in the US) a side light. That is, it will come on when the lights are turned on and stay on until they are turned off. This is what European manufacturers usually do for the US market.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
adamant said:
If Lotus meets US regulation though, the repeater is rewired as a (I don't know what it is called in the US) a side light. That is, it will come on when the lights are turned on and stay on until they are turned off. This is what European manufacturers usually do for the US market.
But a lot of cars (especially GM) allow the side markers to blink with the front turn signals. It is a trivial feature to wire up... I hope Lotus does that...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ack, ptooooooey

1 - 20 of 27 Posts