The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone offer tips how to repack a Silent touch? How do you secure the fiberglass on the outside. How tight do you pack the metal mesh.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting there just waiting for a tune and I could fire her right up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
anything tips on this? After only a few track days I'm dissapointed to report my silent touch exhaust is not so silent anymore....

just bought almost $100 worth of packing :crazyeyes
(1 bag scrubble, 1 bag fiberglass + shipping)

I'll probably mess with it this week I hope I don't have to do this as often as it seems I may

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anything tips on this? After only a few track days I'm dissapointed to report my silent touch exhaust is not so silent anymore....

just bought almost $100 worth of packing :crazyeyes
(1 bag scrubble, 1 bag fiberglass + shipping)

I'll probably mess with it this week I hope I don't have to do this as often as it seems I may
No tips yet. I might ask someone at BOE or BWR.

I think I ran for at least a whole season. I probably should have rebuilt it earlier. I thought the repack stuff was much cheaper holy cow. :crazyeyes Maybe I'll try to reuse some of it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
1. wrap the scrabble around
2. wrap the fiberglas around the scrabble
3. tie the fiberglas with string
4. slide on cover
5. put anti-seize on bolts and tighten

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4. slide on cover
How tightly should the muffler be packed? Any problem reusing some of the scrabble?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4. slide on cover
I took a different approach that seemed to work.

I placed the fiberglass in the canister first. I separated the straight thru mesh pipe from the canister top and inserted into the canister onto the distal portion. I then packed the scrabble around and btwn the pipe and fiberglass using a wood dowel I found. The scrabble comes as long snake like portions which I cut to manageable lengths with a shear.

Check periodically to make sure the pipe is centered and the top of the canister should line right up. I also flared the end of the pipe, all the way around, ever so slightly with a pliers to make the insertion of the cap easier.

The heat is sooo significant with our applications that I will rebuild/repack the proximal end mid way thru the season. All the dampener at the proximal end had turned to either glass or metal marbles when I pulled it apart. The distal end wasn't that bad at all.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ST sounds great and OMG is so much cooler since the rebuild. If the can seems to be getting unusually hot then you know you need to rebuild. I actually melted my license plate lights before I did mine.

I'm definitely going to check it mid season to see how the fiberglass and scruff are holding up in the proximal part of the can and will repack it if melted. It shouldn't take much time at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts