The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the original hoses of the toyota engine over silicon ones? is there a kit available ? thank you guys

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I don't believe there is. I think Lotus did one for the K cars but haven't seen anything for the 'Yota powered cars. Samco also make one for the S1.

If anyone knows where a salvage car is...

I'd love to have Samcos on mine - here's my Duc with Samcos and ABA clamps.
:cool:

Attachments

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a shame they don't offer one. after the introduction of 111R lotus hasn't spend so much time with our car... whereas for the rover there is almost everything... anywayz. i was sure there wasn't any kit available but i wanted to check out with you guys. hope we find a solutio cause they are a must in yoda engines where temperatures is an issue and we should do everything we can to improve them....

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I looked into it awhile back. One of the major problems is just how much hose we have in our cars. Remember that our radiator (plus more stuff) is in the front of the car and hoses run throughout the car. Each hose has to be hand wrapped and a special jig is made for each individual hose. It's a pretty complex hose system. Plus the cars are still so new that your replacing hoses that are still in good shape.

If there is enough interest I can get the two most visible hoses made (the two that are just left of the oil cap), but I would have to get twenty or thirty people. These hoses would be the same quality as Samcos. Colors would be blue, dark blue, red, black and I think green.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
What are the advantages of silicone besides longer life?
They take higher pressure, higher temps, and are generally stronger (don't deform and fail like old rubber hoses) - and they look good. Once installed, you can pretty much forget about having hose issues unless something causes a mechacnical failure (cutting them with cheap clamps, abrasion, etc.).

You can go from a 'B' cup to a 'D' cup.

;)
Shwing!
:coolnana:

And just like Lotus, they wouldn't be OEM.
Bada-bam1

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
What are the advantages of silicone besides longer life?
It impresses your friends and reduces the cash in your wallet.

They take higher pressure, higher temps, and are generally stronger (don't deform and fail like old rubber hoses) - and they look good. Once installed, you can pretty much forget about having hose issues unless something causes a mechanical failure (cutting them with cheap clamps, abrasion, etc.).
But there is not need for higher pressure or higher temperature - the radiator cap limits the pressure in the cooling system, and the thermostat regulates the temperature. If you are getting higher pressures and/or temperatures, then you have something wrong with your cooling system that needs to be fixed.

The reality is that modern "rubber" (especially Japanese hoses for some reason) lasts a long time. I'm still running the OEM hoses on my '93 Accord and my '94 Miata. They are still in excellent condition and there is no need to replace them. :shrug:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

But there is not need for higher pressure or higher temperature - the radiator cap limits the pressure in the cooling system, and the thermostat regulates the temperature. If you are getting higher pressures and/or temperatures, then you have something wrong with your cooling system that needs to be fixed.

The reality is that modern "rubber" (especially Japanese hoses for some reason) lasts a long time. I'm still running the OEM hoses on my '93 Accord and my '94 Miata. They are still in excellent condition and there is no need to replace them. :shrug:

unless you are being supercharged....i guess with the SC kit changing the hoses is a good idea. on a normal day use car , i agree with you and the fact that you just impress your friends, although if i were to change the hoses(like me old scooby) i would go for black ones again...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

Correct, although you quote me as if you're addressing this to me, which is out of context as I never cited a need.

In several cases, they're cheaper than OEM (the Ducati above, for example, and likely would be with the Lotus as well, given the marque's outrageous markups).

They're considerably more durable than...

...that modern rubber.

How many of the hoses on the Lotus are Japanese?
:shrug:

Congratulations on still running your OEM hoses - I've already had to replace one on my '96 Honda.
:wave:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
My original hoses are still on my 1990 200K+ miles Honda. I beat ya by a few years, Tim. :nanner: At least on the hoses that is -- AGE wise you've got me hands down. Here, let me get that door for you :D.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Correct, although you quote me as if you're addressing this to me, which is out of context as I never cited a need.
Sorry, didn't mean anything by it, just quoting some text to give the back ground to what I wrote.

I suppose that if I had to replace all the hoses on my car (or was doing it for preventative maintenance) I would consider the silicon hoses if they were cheaper - and I could get them in black...

Did something similar on my Elan. I needed to replace the OEM rubber brake lines - the braided stainless steel lines were cheaper than OEM's so that's what I used. I wouldn't have changed them "just because", only because they actually needed it...

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
You can go from a 'B' cup to a 'D' cup.

;)
rotflrotfl I laughed so hard, it scared (if not scarred) my cat.

Tim & others are right. Toyota hoses are surprisingly durable. I changed my camry's after about 16 or so yrs and the old ones were completely fine. But, I don't know which on the Lotus come from what mfgrs.

No blue for me, but it's a matter of taste....don't taste the coolant btw.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
id be interested in the change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts