The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn’t know about this until recently. I have some electric cords outside (in a brutal winter) and this tape does a v good job of sealing them.

Apparently also used for hose (car & home) leaks. Bonds to itself; leaves no residue on the hose or wire.

Anyone else use this? And, for what?

Thx
=gb=

Description from Amazon:

F4 Tape is a self-fusing silicone tape designed for military and aviation use. F4 Tape is the new fast-fusing formula that works in minutes or even seconds, compared to the older 24 hour cure time from older technology. Use it as shrink wrap instead of shrink tubing or shrink tape. F4 Tape was named after the F4 Phantom jet - while intended for high-voltage electrical wire wrapping, this F-4 Tape is very versatile and is ideal as an emergency repair tape! This is the highest quality silicone tape available, and NOT the same as Mocap or Tommy Tape. Lab tested at 950 PSI Tensile strength, this product significantly exceeds military specifications and industry standards for aviation tape. Each roll is 1" Wide X .020" Thick (20 mil) X 36 feet in length. Color is Black.

Harbor Products F4TapeBlack F4 Tape Self-fusing Silicone Tape, 20 mil Thick, 36' Length x 1" Width, Black: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
It's good stuff! Used it on RF-4C's in the 80's. Still use it on AH-64D's today.

It self vulcanizes and does not have an adhesion breakdown like electrical tape and has good heat resistance. You will need to use cloth wire bundle string on it to keep it from unraveling where you ended.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Love the stuff, used to use it on my sailboat before I sold it and continued using it on my Lotus. It's got a fairly high melting point (500 F peak) and given my turbo setup, which gets things hot I've used it to coat electrical lines, and hoses. Plus I like the look, most of the red you see is rescue tape.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool stuff here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts