The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone actually have 1st hand knowledge of the silicone hose kits as found on eBay. They are made in China and as such I am leery about anything made there. The original rubber hoses have a fairly long life and I have never really had any problems with them. Many cars and even the daily drivers have plain black rubber OEM hoses that have lasted many years. What is the on going opinion of these hose sets?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I used them extensively on my 300ZX Twin Turbo which has way more hoses than the Esprit. They last longer, if choose correct ones are less susceptible to collapse and for those that want to dress up engine bay have colors available. Or can use different colors to color code different uses, i.e. vacuum, etc. Some in China are too thin and can collapse under vacuum.

For larger hoses such as water, etc. Samco has some nice ones are excellent quality.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Not sure abpout the eBay ones but Ive heard from reliable sources that the silicone hose sets arent really worth the money and dont get you much. I also heard that they can extremely hard to get on versus the rubber hoses with little or no "give".

My 87 HCi had the factory hoses all replaced in the spring of 2009 and they are only now starting to look a little tired. Not leaking, just a little tired. They have over 30K miles on them too. Lot of heat cycles and miles. No problems.

So, what happens is that the factory rubber hoses seem to last easily until your next major which would be the right time to renew them or at least check them out, IMO.

I say just stcik with the factory rubber hoses.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
My first hand experience is, you are well-off using Silicone hoses on the two trouble-prone items: The little "elbow" on the water pump, and likewise the WP to bottom of the intake manifold. :up::up:

The silicone hoses (which I got from JAE...SUPPORT OUR PARTS SOURCES!) were very difficult to install (and later remove) 'cause the silicone doesn't stretch or give. But if you aren't looking at replacing hoses or pulling the engine any time soon, the entire silicone set may be worth it. I replaced the black hoses on my Esprit TWICE the first 20 years of it's life BTW.

The blue hoses DO look nifty when you also use the blue JAE timing belt! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
[snip]
The silicone hoses (which I got from JAE...SUPPORT OUR PARTS SOURCES!)[snip]
The blue hoses DO look nifty when you also use the blue JAE timing belt! :cool:
I know you're looking for 1st hand knowledge, but consider that even if someone vouched for an eBay vendor's quality, it's hard to beat a known Lotus-specific vendor for peace of mind.

My hoses were from JAE too in 2011, but I got the 'sinister black' with the JAE logo. The fact that JAE did the blue timing belt upgrade work (demonstrated commitment to the Esprit) - that tells me I'd rather trust his Esprit coolant hoses than an unknown source with a good recommendation - at any price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a set through JAE and quite frankly, they fit like crap. They claim never an issue, but the diameters are clearly out of whack. I have tons of automotive experience from cars to top fuel dragsters so this wasn't my first time at the rodeo, these hoses were crap.
Try getting them somewhere else.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my JAE set works great. they are very thick and take umph to install. I chamfered the ID on each hose lip with carpet knife and used vasaline to make installation painless. piece of mind having all silicone hoses installed

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, I have a 1ZZ Elise (2007) and would LOVE a bright green set. Has anybody got any links I can get these from? THANKS GUYS!! ED BURTON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts