The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic door "recess" (on the top of the door) on my Elise cracked and needs to be replaced. I chipped the old one out but the adhesive Lotus used to affix it to the door had to be cut away with a knife which was not pretty. I would prefer to secure the new one with silicone sealant. Will this hold it in place securely?

·
He's on fire!
3,444 Posts
At least in bathrooms, removing silicone sealant is a pain. after it dries nothing sticks to it and it is difficult to completely remove (which you have to do if you ever want/need to lay down new sealant))

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I had good luck with contact cement. It's critical not to get any where you don't want it. To help with that I poured out some on a plastic sheet and let it thicken quite a bit before applying. You also might want to test first with just a tiny amount to make sure it won't melt the trim.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up taking most of the old glue off the doors with a box knife and affixed the new door recesses with 3M double sided tape. Worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.