The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving back home my soft top came off at about 60mph on the passenger side, flung around, and smacked the drivers side sill panel. What should I do regarding this damage? The area above and below the crack are not level.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
25 Posts
Wow, that's crazy! It doesn't look like a bad crack, but I don't know much about repairs. I would call around your area to see if there is a shop that specializes in fiberglass. Probably and insurance claim too

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I'd go to a shop and get a quote before filing a claim (and don't mention the word "insurance" to them). A shop I've used in the past would be under a grand for that easily, so that may or not be worth a claim depending on your deductible.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The damage doesn't look that bad and doesn't seem to be anything structural, just cosmetic. Fixing the crack shouldn't be too bad and a competent shop that does body fiber glass repair can patch and repaint. You could start by contacting shops that do body work on Vettes (for ease of finding someone to do the work) and see if they can repair without removing the sill. If you find one that does...shouldn't be that expensive. The bad thing about the sills are if they have to be removed to repair, they can be a PITA. They are bonded to the chassis that makes removing difficult.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
@JFHughes08088 (love your Avatar tag line...someone gets it!) Agreed, I have had much worse as well. My front splitter was partially ripped off by a hard ball of ice bouncing down the freeway. Think softball size, falling off a semi trailer that had come over the pass. It did very similar damage as your pics. I too was quoted around $800 or so for the repair.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
327 Posts
Yep, mine was a splitter coming off as well (2/3 of it anyway...). The front half was held on with 3 1 1/2 washers top and bottom. Thought it would hold, which it did up to 107 MPH. 108, Not so much...... :) Pulled 2 of the washers (center and passenger side) right through and split below the license plate location. Hey, if we can't afford to break em, we shouldn't drive em....

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
25 Posts
Also a suggestion too, I would freshen up the hardware on the soft top (pins and springs) as well just as a precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again and to rule out hardware failure

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
have it spot repaired... removing the Sills will be a $9K job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts