The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about the aluminum sill itself not the plastic sill cover; specifically the small area of aluminum that is visible where the plastic sill ends going aft at the top of the rail. What is the finish on this aluminum? Is it anodized, painted, or bare? Mine was scratched up by a screwdriver it seems while I was having the dealer (Park Place) install a new alcantara covered sill. They are saying that this area looks like it has previously been painted and asked if I had bought the car used. I did not; the car was new and had only been at the dealer (LOA) for one day since I had ordered it. So, the only way that area could've been repainted was at the factory when the car was being built or while at the port maybe. If it is supposed to be bare aluminum then something fishy happened to my car before I bought it. Anyway, the dealer is offering to repaint it to cover the damage they did but I just want to know what it is supposed to be.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I've wondered about that too, because mine looks painted and the "paint" or whatever it is is coming off in that same spot. You can scratch it off easily with your fingernail. I've never used any harsh cleaners on it at all. If that is anodized and that is coming off well than that is p!ss poor. Needless to say when I decided to remove my side sill carpeting and discovered the dealer "fixed" it when it was falling off by squirting super glue all over the back of the carpeting and the side sill- I was worried the same thing would happen as I was trying to remove their super glue mess. I had to use progressively harsher chemicals before I could find anything that would touch their super glue. The only thing that made a dent in it was aircraft stripper and a plastic razor blade and even that took an extremely long time and large amount of effort. Amazingly no damage was done to the aluminum by that, but that one spot on the side sills still comes off if you breath on it wrong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The explanation must then be a poor job of painting or anodizing from the factory on some cars. This of course is not shocking.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's all supposed to be clear anodized...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts