The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my sills to replace the creeping foam oozing out with foam rubber from McMaster Carr.

The removal of the sills is a snap, as is taking off the old foam and replacing it with the new; the replacement of the sills, however, is a study in extreme frustration.

The lip that attaches with the two forward screws makes things devilishly difficult; it wants to go under the piece it attaches to when you try to first attach the sill to the dash above it.

Does anyone know the proper technique? I'm planning to remove the driver's sill again to run my V1 remote and I don't want to suffer again

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I was just going to ask about this. I couldn't figure out how to remove the sill. Maybe because I only found 1 screw, near the rear. Do I need to remove the access panel or something?

What foam do I use for replacement? Does it need to be replaced, or just repositioned?

Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used this:

1 8694K64 NEOPRENE/EPDM/SBR FOAM RUBBER STRIP, ADHESIVE-BACKED, 1/16" THICK, 2"W, 50'L, BLACK 1

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
According to Lotus Service Notes, Section BR:

3. Sill top trims: Release the two screws at the bottom of the coin pockets at the front of each sill, and pull the sill top trim panels from the chassis.

Don't forget the single screw at the rear of the sill.

When I took my sills off, it was a pain, but just be patient and they'll pop off.

DO NOT force, whatever you do. :no:

Wayne

·
Registered
146 Posts
waydui said:
According to Lotus Service Notes, Section BR:

3. Sill top trims: Release the two screws at the bottom of the coin pockets at the front of each sill, and pull the sill top trim panels from the chassis.

Don't forget the single screw at the rear of the sill.

When I took my sills off, it was a pain, but just be patient and they'll pop off.

DO NOT force, whatever you do. :no:

Wayne

Looking at your avatar it looks like you have taken more than just the sills apart.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The problem is not the removal! It's the refitting!

If you put the lip of the sill over the panel where the two forward screws go, it's VERY difficult to pop the top of the sill into the panel above.

Is there a trick to it? I ended up using the brut force method. Hopefully not the recommended way to do it...

Best regards,

Leo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Removal and fitting of the sill is SO easy > IF you leave the coin pocket or switch bezel attached and remove them at the same time <

Heck, you can't easily attach the two parts when they're out of the car much less when the end bezels are in place!

Hope this relieves much pain and suffering and aggravation :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Um, can someone include pics? Coin pocket? I don't even know what that is. :)

Sorry, I'm a noob, but I want to do this. Also, i have always thought this car could use a coin pocket or place, but never found one.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
EldersburgElise said:
Coin pocket is where you put your cell phone. Rectangular storage area beneath the starter button.
That's the Sector 111 cup holder pocket. Wallet goes to left of steering wheel and phone goes to right. Now that that is cleared up we can get back on topic - lol!

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Cell phone clips to seat belt across chest. Wallet goes in purse on floor, against seat. Garage door opener goes in compartment under starter button.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Scott in Houston said:
Oh. Ok. Crappy "coin pocket" but it works for other stuff. :D
"garage door opener pocket"

BTW> does anyone have pics with the sills off? I liked theS1 elise bare sills with just the rubber elbow pad. Does the extrusion looks as good under our sills?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
"garage door opener pocket"

BTW> does anyone have pics with the sills off? I liked theS1 elise bare sills with just the rubber elbow pad. Does the extrusion looks as good under our sills?
The problem with the S2 is that they cut down into the side rails to make ingress/egress easier. That leaves the cut ends of a few extrusions exposed at the front and back of the opening. I think Perryeges left his exposed, but think one would normally want those areas covered.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I didn't realize when they lower the sills that they cut the extrusion, just assumed it was a change to the tooling.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I see no screws anywhere at the front. Are they hidden underneath the pad in the coin pockets? There is one screw in the outside back.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
ChrisB said:
The problem with the S2 is that they cut down into the side rails to make ingress/egress easier. That leaves the cut ends of a few extrusions exposed at the front and back of the opening.
Um....how did they make ingress/egress easier if they filled the area they cut off with the plastic cover? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts