The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a silly question but I just got my Elise 2 days ago.

I notice that driving even during the daytime my low beams are on, even without the light switch inside being turned on? Is this normal??

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

I notice that driving even during the daytime my low beams are on, even without the light switch inside being turned on? Is this normal??
Yes.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

Yes. It's the Daytime Running Lights. Lotus wires it up (on '06 and later cars) so that the low beams come on with the ignition - it was to make the car legal for sale in Canada.

If you want to disable the DRLs, search for the "Green Wire" thread. It has instructions on how to pull the connection to disable the DRLs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Tim and Francis.

I'll have to do more reading on the forum to see how having the DRL's coming on will affect the HID bulbs I just ordered and if I need to do the green wire mod to use with the HID's.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Congradulations and enjoy! :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Allan!

I wish you lived closer so you could give me driving lessons :shift:

·
Registered
764 Posts
As a biker who has lived with always on headlights for years, I suggest leaving them that way. In fact, I turn the lights on shortly after ignition so that I have the tail ights lit as well. The car is hard to see and easy to hit. It gives you something more to tell the officer, "I even had my headlights on!" but hopefully it shaves the odds a bit in your favor so you don't have the collision in the first place.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thank you very much Tim and Francis.

I'll have to do more reading on the forum to see how having the DRL's coming on will affect the HID bulbs I just ordered and if I need to do the green wire mod to use with the HID's.
Thank You, NJdrool.
I have the exact same question about the DRL & Low Beam light.
I thought I was on drug when I see no different between DRL & Low Beam light on.

now I need to search on this forum about the HID upgrade, too.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
DRLs are listed a saftey feature with my insurance and grant a discount on my policy :p

·
Registered
807 Posts
the two mods i told the dealer to perform or no deal were:

disable DRL's. they're not required by law in any state. if i wanted DRL's, i'd buy a GM product. i'll switch on the lights myself when i deem them to be necessary. i don't need HAL to do it for me.

speaking of HAL, the blinking red light on the IP is the automatic imobilizer, which i also had turned off. so no need to push the fob every time you start the car. but it still kicks on when you lock the doors with the fob.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts

did lotus leave this out of the owner's manual?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Why would anyone want to disable the DRLs? It's a useful safety feature. Maybe if you use the car exclusively in track or military applications. Don't know why you'd want to disable with all the bad and distracted drivers on the road. Anyways, lots of threads on this already.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've lived with the DRL laws in Canada for years. Initially when the law passed I thought it sucked and was stupid. After a while, I noticed that other vehicles were much more noticeable and I found that I didn't have to concentrate to see them. They really do make you much more visible to other drivers. Not everybody has great vision. I run lights on in my 911 all the time without DRL day or night. The downside of the DRL systems is they don't light up the rear running lights. People forget to turn on the lights and end up running dark in the back, but they don't know it because they have headlights. I've seen this hundreds of times on the highway at night, scares the crap out of me everytime.

My 2 pennies for the jar

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did lotus leave this out of the owner's manual?
Manual. I don't need to read no stinkin manual. That is why LT is there rotfl

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Why would anyone want to disable the DRLs? It's a useful safety feature. Maybe if you use the car exclusively in track or military applications. Don't know why you'd want to disable with all the bad and distracted drivers on the road. Anyways, lots of threads on this already.
I wanted to disable the DRLs when I went with my low beam HIDs. I did not want the HID low beams on all the time.

So I performed the green wire mod to disable the DRLs.

Then I installed ekological's HID setup. At the same time I replaced the front parking light bulb in the headlight assembly with a Wide LED.

Now its habit for me to turn on the parking maps every time I use the car. It not only lights up the front LED light but the sides and rear LEDS making the car more visible from all sides.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There are many reasons to disable the DRL's and many to have them. That's why I've switched it. I wish I'd done the push button disable.

Pro:
* Saftey
* Discount

Con:
* Stargazing
* bulb life time
* lower power drain.
* Stealthiness
* When I pull into my garage, I look into a mirror for clearance checks. The light make that impossible

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Manual. I don't need to read no stinkin manual. That is why LT is there rotfl
Cat - I agree. On 05s, I recommend turning on the lights when passing on the right, in any iffy situation.

NJD - Hey, buddy, you were the one terming this a "silly" question. And, it turns out you were right.:D

have fun.

·
Registered
807 Posts
for many of us, it's just a control issue, i guess. to me, DRL's are like those silly motorized seat belts in the late 80's/early 90's. i wear my seatbelt 100% of the time, but i don't need the car to do it for me. likewise, there are times i will run with the lights on in the daytime, and times i do not. but i would like to choose these times myself.

my audi has a neat feature that allows you to turn the DRL's on and off. and unlike some GM cars which default back to "ON" every time you start the car, the audi will stay in the setting you put it on till you change it. this type of setting will make everyone happy.

besides, our stock headlights are so weak and the projector beams so focused, if you're driving a normal sized car, you don't really notice the lotus lights in the daytime anyways (in sunny LA at least).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I can’t stand DRL, police and busses (and motorcycles but they don’t count for this) had DRL so they could stand out from outer traffic. Now they don’t. Ass for a safety standpoint there are a few studies that show there’s no help and in some situations it hurts. On some of the old straight desert highways (one lane for each side and suicide passing) turning on your lights would help. Dearing the day a car a mile away or more it could be hard to tell if it was approaching or going the same way as you. So if you saw head lights you knew the car was approaching and how to jug any pass you may be planning.

As for the GM daytime running lights safety thing, it was nothing but typical U.S. marketing BS (the type politicians love). I cant stand some GM sh*t behind me with their lights on, especially right on my ass at a light. Some of those light are quite bright. As a driver you should know when you need to turn your lights on. Save your light bulbs for when you need them.

Sorry that was a bit of a rant, I’m done for now.

I think you can tell I did the green wire mod.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts