The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm hopefully about to join the Lotus community by acquiring one of the black/silver 60th Anniversary Edition Elises.

My question for you experts is this:

The car came from the factory with silver Lotus Sport wheels. The wheels on the car now are either the original ones painted black, or factory black wheels pulled from another car (Exige?). I like the black wheels very much, but am concerned that they may be less appealing to purists given its "Special Edition" nature when I eventually need to part with the car. In my particular situation it is important that the car maintain as much value as possible as I may not have it for a very long time.

As informed and experienced drivers/buyers/sellers of these cars, would you recommend I take an offer to swap the black wheels for original silver ones at no cost? Or will the appeal of the car to enthusiasts other than myself not be diminished by leaving the black ones on, as would be my preference?

Secondarily, if it turns out the wheels were professionally painted black in the aftermarket and are not factory original, would this change your thoughts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bryan
Los Angeles

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
Honestly, buy a second set and swap them out and back as you need. There is always a market for used set of wheels. Lots of people track so they want a second set of wheels for the track tires. As long as you don't overpay for the second set, you will get your money back eventually.

Welcome and come out sometime and meet up with the L.A. crew. We're going to Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning with the O.C. crew.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
If you don't plan to keep it for long and just want to make money off of it, then why do you care what it looks like :shrug:
I'd say you should go with the cheapest version you can get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking to make money, just hoping to not lose money unnecessarily on a foolish choice! The car isn't being flipped, rather it's being wedged into a somewhat narrow "life opportunity".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to meet up with other LA Lotus folks. I should be getting the car this coming weekend and hope to be able to connect with you all soon afterward!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts