The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Alexander, a fountain of information.
Silver Star got 1 car 1 1/2 weeks ago, and three cars yesterday.

One of yesterdays cars was the demo, but nobody will be allowed to drive it. I assume they plan to sell it on day 91
with 0 milage. I tried to clarify my position on the list and was told 80 instead of the 37 it should be. Then was told "You're between 30 and 31 You're in the next batch to order."

Wonderful outfit, we still sit with no drivable car in Los Angeles area over a month after Chris' car was delivered in Atlanta Galpin is at least a month from getting car #1.

Steve

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Sownman said:
Just got off the phone with Alexander, a fountain of information.
Silver Star got 1 car 1 1/2 weeks ago, and three cars yesterday.

One of yesterdays cars was the demo, but nobody will be allowed to drive it. I assume they plan to sell it on day 91
with 0 milage. I tried to clarify my position on the list and was told 80 instead of the 37 it should be. Then was told "You're between 30 and 31 You're in the next batch to order."

Wonderful outfit, we still sit with no drivable car in Los Angeles area over a month after Chris' car was delivered in Atlanta Galpin is at least a month from getting car #1.

Steve
no drive demo!!! that is crap! I'll check it out today after work. (i don't have a camera on me). Which colors do they have?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree with your opinion of Silver Star. I have a deposit with them and my number changes each time I call them. I remember when I first walked in back in 2001 they new nothing about the Elise and refused (yes refused) to take a deposit. When I went back early in 2003 they were willing to take my deposit but would not guarantee me MSRP and wouldn't tell me what number in line I would be. I went back again at the beginning of this year and was finally guaranteed MSRP so I left a deposit. I was told I was in the low 50's. My number has changed to as high as 99 at one point (there is no No. on my deposit receipt). So ultimately I don't know where I am.

I am lucky since I had the opportunity to place deposits at other dealers earlier than I did at Silver Star. At the time I was worried that it would be a waste of money, but now having been notified by FVMC that my car is here (wherever 'here' may be) it has made me realise it was a smart move on my part to put deposits down at multiple places.

I hope Silver Star get their act together soon, however I have a sneaking suspicion that based on the volume of Mercedes & Jaguars they sell in So. Cal, they don't view their Lotus sales & customers as particularly important

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
biobaggie said:
I agree with your opinion of Silver Star. I have a deposit with them and my number changes each time I call them. I remember when I first walked in back in 2001 they new nothing about the Elise and refused (yes refused) to take a deposit. When I went back early in 2003 they were willing to take my deposit but would not guarantee me MSRP and wouldn't tell me what number in line I would be. I went back again at the beginning of this year and was finally guaranteed MSRP so I left a deposit. I was told I was in the low 50's. My number has changed to as high as 99 at one point (there is no No. on my deposit receipt). So ultimately I don't know where I am.

I saw the R&T cover and went straight to Silver Star Oct 2003
put down deposit for spot 37. A week later I realized I didn't get any price commitment and Silver Star wouldn't give one. I went to
Steve Harris and put deposit for spot #25 @MSRP, but it seems they are having great difficulty getting any cars at all, so spot #25 may be a year away. I stumbled on spot 11 at Galpin and put a deposit there. Last March when Silver Star found I was on Steve Harris list, they virtually threw me off their list. I waited
4 weeks for a check that never came then called Kelly Bolt the sales mgr. I told him I really wanted my spot 37 back more than the check anyway so he said I was back on the list. Seems Alexander's list didn't include me. I really am unsure of my current status there. The ONLY reason I didn't pursue return of the deposit was to be allowed to drive the demo when they got one. Seems they've held my $1k for 10 months now and I'll get nothing at all for it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah, I heard this and posted it about a week ago. I agree with the assessment that the Elise sales are just not important to them unfortunately.

That why I believe if someone does drop off the list The Dealer _Should_ be able to sell at a markup. That way they make some decent money from the car and hopefully care for it a bit more.

I've got my car with me today. I'll stop by Silver star about 5pm. If someone wants a ride I'll meet you there and take you for a 10 min blast along decker canyon.

Steve W

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Steve W said:
Yeah, I heard this and posted it about a week ago. I agree with the assessment that the Elise sales are just not important to them unfortunately.

That why I believe if someone does drop off the list The Dealer _Should_ be able to sell at a markup. That way they make some decent money from the car and hopefully care for it a bit more.

I've got my car with me today. I'll stop by Silver star about 5pm. If someone wants a ride I'll meet you there and take you for a 10 min blast along decker canyon.

Steve W
ill be there at 5pm. I live about 4 minutes away. I'm going back home after work to get my cheap camera.

thanks, Steve! i hope they have a CO elise there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm going down to look at the demo but probably won't be able to get there until 5:30 - 6:00. I'll look out for you if you're still around

Alan

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
shay2nak said:
ill be there at 5pm. I live about 4 minutes away. I'm going back home after work to get my cheap camera.

thanks, Steve! i hope they have a CO elise there.
You've won the ride shay2nak. See you there about 5. (the way this work day is going I want to get out as soon as possible.)

Steve

·
Registered
640 Posts
Shay & Steve - It was good to meet you guys this evening at Silver Star. Steve your ST looked stunning but I have to say the Saffron that the lady was taking away blew my mind. What a fantastic color. The pics posted do not do it justice.

Shay pls post some of the photos you took

Silver Star's delivery was 1 x Graphite and 2 x Saffron. The graphite was driven away by the owner before I got there (Shay - did you get any pics?). The demo is a Saffron that was in the back being prepped.

Didn't ask for a demo ride but maybe I'll call them tomorrow

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Big thanks to Steve!!!!! it was very nice meeting you and Alan (biobaggie) I hope your lazer blue comes in next week!

The car is badass. Storm is very nice color. I liked it a lot. It was actually darker than I thought it would be. There was a bit of a brownish tint but it made the color look like it had a smokey characteristic about it, only at certain angles though. CLear bra was noticable only up close and at certain angles.

There was also a yellow one that a woman with her kid came to pick up. This color is sweet also. I was really surprised how bright the yellow was. Even in the shade it was nice. I hated the yellow but now I wouldn't mind getting it, especially since it's free! This car didn't have clear bra installed.

A Graphite car had already been picked up before i got there. DAMN! DAMN! I wanted to see that, I wish I knew. Graphite must be pretty damn dark when considering Steve's car.

Silver star had another car, the demo which is yellow, in the shop.

Steve took me for a crazy ride in the canyons. This car was pushing 40mph on the small tight curves at around 4500/5000rpm. Any other car would have been around 20mph. No sound from the tires AT ALL just a tiny squeek which I'm sure was brought on by the small rocks on the road. I was crapping in my pants because I had never been in a car so fast before. So Neil is right. Everyone better have a diaper or two in the trunk for the passengers! LOL!

I also couldn't believe how fast the car revved. Steve went into the cams twice on a straight and in first gear it was not a huge step, but you could feel it crossover. After a blink the damn car with 2 people was already at 60mph. It definitely is low. The ride was pretty nice. Stiff but not much stiffer than my Merc with sport suspension and lo-pro tires. It was also not as stiff as the Euro base Elise (120hp). I could live with LSS. The interior is nice. Just because it doesn't have anything doesn't mean it has to look cheap. It is very nicely done.

I caught some people looking at the car. This one dude in a Corvy was looking at us and when i turned to look at him, he whipped is head around so he wouldn't seem to be checking out the Elise big time. LOL!

I have pics. But i have a cheap Minolta and I was pissed at the quality.

Ara

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I can't post pics now. My connection is weak as hell. The files are also too big (>512k) so I'll resize them and attach them while at work tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Shay2nak

You're welcome. All I can say about the drive is the car really inspires confidence. I personally have no wayto say no when the Car whispers in my ear "I can go faster than this..."

After having the car for a couple of weeks the run with Shay2nak didn't seen that fast to me.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Steve W said:
After having the car for a couple of weeks the run with Shay2nak didn't seen that fast to me.
oh i have no doubt about it. I'm just not used to having a car be able to drive like the Elise does. That's why I love it so much.

I forgot to bring my Minidisc recorder & mic for the ride so I could record the sound of the engine. It was nice, but I think I could handle a louder exhaust. I didn't really hear any induction noise either. Maybe I don't remember. I do remember the Rover engine sounding better than the Toyota, though.

My dad's a funny guy. He's pretty skeptical about the Elise. [Yoda] "The ways of the Force, he knows not." [/Yoda] He will once I get my car.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Probably the wierdest thing about last night was the woman who drove away with the Saffron Elise with the hard top.

She appeared to have no concept of how to drive a stick shift, stated that the Lotus was "just like driving a Bug" and said that her normal car was a hummer.

I think the car was for her husband, but unless his attitude is totally different from hers I wouldn't be surprised to see a saffon yellow elise with hardtop, without clearbra on ebay shortly.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
yeah, I hope she made it home safetly. It would be hard to miss her in the yellow anyway. Damn that color was bright!

BTW, I'll have to post the pics tonight.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Funny you should mention the lack of starshield. I've heard dealers mention that if the person on the list was a speculator he/she would be morel likely to order the car without the 3M shield.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Visited Silver Star last night around 7:30 pm. The salesman told me that their "demo" in fact would be put on display for a month or so and would not be available for test drives. They plan to "load it up" and sell it to the highest bidder because "we need the money".

The car wasn't on display yet and they are in transition as they renovate their showroom, so he said it might be a week before the car would be available for viewing.

This is where I will be taking my car for servicing, but they do not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Nobody seems to be enthused about the car itself, just the chance to make $$$ from a hot item.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've been having my other car serviced as Galpin for years (a cougar) After this first 1 k service I may well take the elise to Galpin for follow on services. I have the same concerns as you JML.

Steve

1 - 20 of 69 Posts