The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since they have a headlight and bumper exemption for the '05, they will have to do a complete redesign. Could the '05 hold it's value since they will be so rare???

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
2500 isn't that rare. With the Elise, residual value will depend very much on the performance of the 06's and later. If they get 300 hp and < 2000 lbs in them, obviously the 05's won't be so valuable, right?

·
Registered
143 Posts
transio said:
2500 isn't that rare. With the Elise, residual value will depend very much on the performance of the 06's and later. If they get 300 hp and < 2000 lbs in them, obviously the 05's won't be so valuable, right?
I suspect there will end up, in total, about 6k-8k 2004-2006 current-generation Elises importted to the U.S, before we get to the redesign. Remember that the redesign is slated for "Late 2006" which would make it a 2007 model year. Therefore there ends up being about 3 years production of the current cars.

Take a look at the numbers in the Forbes.com article:

http://www.forbes.com/2004/02/10/cz_jf_0210flint_print.html

So, we've got numbers that are about 1/10 the yearly production of a Corvette, 1/4 the production of the S2K, and somewhere inbetween a Viper and the new Jag XK. But, remember, the Viper & S2K have been in production for several years already, and they're continuing to make them, so I would guess 10k+ S2K's and 5k+ Vipers are on the road today. That doesn't even mention how many have been wrecked (which will happen to the Elise too)

I think the current generation Elise is destined to be more rare than either of those cars could ever possibly be, and probably one of the most rare cars on the road, if you don't include the "super-exotics" that aren't even listed on that page.

That, combined with its very unique bumper exemption, the Lotus name, and its many other appeals, mean that its going to hold its value very well, and be a true "exotic" forever.

Steve

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
slacy said:
Good article, even with S2K's relatively 'high' numbers they catch the eye when you see one on the road. However, isn't the old saying that a car is poorest form of investment? Granted I doubt any of us are buying this thing for investment so I'm thinking we're asking this question in the context of a trade in for the next generation Elise. I for one am glad that I'm high enough that I wont have to deal with the Elise as dictated by DOT.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Evl said:
My favorite is "Whats the fastest way to make a small fortune in {racing,sports cars,etc}? Start with a large one."

:)
Yep, so let's enjoy the car, drive the daylights out of it and worry about money only in the form of how it would effect mods/supplies as the dollar slides.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to find a good reason to convince my wife to keep the car, so this idea popped into my head. She's on of these "your car has to be practical" people.
But I am glad I won't have to deal with the DOT standards too. DOT is going to change a lot of sports cars because, they are making the standard front end height and headlight height higher so the will do better in crashes with SUVs.
Thats why I think Suvs suck the big one. :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
chuck-03 said:
I'm trying to find a good reason to convince my wife to keep the car, so this idea popped into my head. She's on of these "your car has to be practical" people.
But I am glad I won't have to deal with the DOT standards too. DOT is going to change a lot of sports cars because, they are making the standard front end height and headlight height higher so the will do better in crashes with SUVs.
Thats why I think Suvs suck the big one. :D
What peeves me about the SUV's is that they get away without the gass guzzler tax because it's a truck. Sure, how many SUV's get worked like a commercial truck?
For the record, my SUV sips gas not guzzle and is more utility than sport.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
The Elise IS a very practical car - for the level of performance, its cheap! it get as good of gas milage as your typical honda junk econo car, doesn't take up much space in your garage, has lots of interior room - more than a boxster, and is cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
jwocky said:
more interior room than a boxster? that doesn't sound right.
I'm not sure I would say there is more room in an Elise than a Boxster, but there clearly is more leg room than a Boxster. Maybe more head room as well, but I haven't been in a Boxster with the top up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully, there will be more foot room in the production elise. I drove one of the prototypes they had here and I had to take my shoe off so I could fit my foot between the brake pedal and the center console. Other wise I will be burning out a lot of brakes. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts